Railroad Forums 

• Looking for photos of Charlotte - 1970s-1980s

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1457916  by Otto Vondrak

Conrail6467 wrote:Hello All, I know most of you have pictures of the Charlotte Area. I am trying to compile folders of pictures to accurately depict scenes for my layout. I am in particular need of pictures of the South Yard, Rock Beach / Irondequoit Area, Webster, and Sea Breeze. Anyone with drawings, or photos please reply. All I have to go on is Google Maps at this point and it isn't very helpful. Any help would be appreciated. Enjoy your day!
How big is this layout you're building? It sounds ambitious.
 #1457945  by BR&P

Otto Vondrak wrote:How big is this layout you're building? It sounds ambitious.
You forgot about the last time we did all this! :wink: November 20, 2015: (http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.ph ... k#p1358513" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
The goal was to start from CP-373 and then model the Hojack east and west. When im older and feel like it, I hopefully will expand to the mainline and eventually from Newark to Batavia.
Now thinking about it, I am probably going to stick to The Charlotte Branch and the Hojack east and west, and very possibly a little bit of Otis, the East Falls Road, and MAYBE the coal docks .
Now 2 days ago, we had this:
I have no room for my layout, but I figure I'll get my research and planning out of the way first
But back on November 24, 2015, it was
Thanks again guys. The first module is in the works!!
I think he's buying up that K-Mart store that just closed down to put the layout in. Image
 #1457950  by Conrail6467

I know, I keep starting it up again and then get busy. I still didn't have enough pics to do it. I still have holes in my research and then when I have a new question, I just create a new thread instead of digging through to find the old one. It is going to be a condensed version and not so much a huge project. The idea is to plan now and then when I have the space know exactly what I need to do. I apologize if you guys don't want to keep doing this cycle but I still had questions :-D . I have drastically changed my ambitions, as I quickly realized how much space it would actually take. Its not going to be to scale, but a condensed version to get the idea of all the major scenes. As of right now, that first module I spoke of has the tracks laid with sharpie markings where the buildings should go.
 #1457952  by Conrail6467

The goal is EVENTUALLY to have a working layout that I can operate, but that is still a long time from now. It is a work in progress. I don't want it done tomorrow. I want it well thought out and my research adequately done. That's why I have so many questions, I want it to be somewhat accurate.
 #1457955  by BR&P

Chain yanking, snide remarks and pointed jabs are furnished at no additional charge! Image

Now - I'm not on Facebook but I'm told there is a shot on the Rochester railroad page of a wooden vinegar tank car. You'll want a couple of those, as they went out the West Hojack to be loaded at Lyndonville Vinegar . They came up in the Belt, and went to R.T. French to use the vinegar for mustard. In later years they went to some place downstate, might have been White Plains but I can't recall for sure.
 #1457960  by Otto Vondrak

BR&P wrote:
Otto Vondrak wrote:How big is this layout you're building? It sounds ambitious.
You forgot about the last time we did all this! ...I think he's buying up that K-Mart store that just closed down to put the layout in. Image
Ah yes, I thought this sounded familiar. I don't think he realizes the amount of space even modeling a fraction of this would take. You know, you're allowed to ask questions about railroads, you don't always have to dress it up as, "I'm building an impossibly large layout..." :-)

-otto-
 #1457963  by BR&P

I have not been into model railroading since I was a teenager. But even now, occasionally I'll go past some huge building and think "Man, what a layout you could put in THERE!"
 #1457965  by bwparker1

BR&P wrote:Chain yanking, snide remarks and pointed jabs are furnished at no additional charge! Image

Now - I'm not on Facebook but I'm told there is a shot on the Rochester railroad page of a wooden vinegar tank car. You'll want a couple of those, as they went out the West Hojack to be loaded at Lyndonville Vinegar . They came up in the Belt, and went to R.T. French to use the vinegar for mustard. In later years they went to some place downstate, might have been White Plains but I can't recall for sure.
Here is a link to the photo.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... ater&ifg=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1457995  by BR&P

Conrail6467 wrote:Cool photo! You guys are probably right. I've just been thinking out loud. I guess I sound like I have a lot of ambition :-D. I guess Im not very good at estimating space lol
I think two years ago you indicated you would be modeling in HO. FWIW, if you accurately model CHARLOTTE ONLY, you probably would not be able to fit it in your entire basement.
 #1458018  by lvrr325

Man, pick one place with some interesting switching, model it on two or three 2x4 dominoes, have something for now and when you have room later add on then.

Do it right and you could even make a loop track that's just a loop so you can let trains run if you prefer.
 #1458067  by Conrail6467

lvrr325 wrote:Man, pick one place with some interesting switching, model it on two or three 2x4 dominoes, have something for now and when you have room later add on then.

Do it right and you could even make a loop track that's just a loop so you can let trains run if you prefer.

That is what I figured I'd do.