Railroad Forums 

• looking for any help on the White Deer/Loganton Raiwayl

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#912869  by bignastyGS

I am a new guy that has always had interests in railroads and the like. I had several train sets growing up and was amazed at the trains that ran through Gary Indiana and East Gary while I was growing up. I have lived in Central Pa since 1977 and have recently taken a big interest in the White Deer & Loganton that ran up through my area (Carroll to Loganton). I have been doing some research and have visited the Taber museum as well as contacted a couple referred people that have been helpful with my endeavor. My goal is to trace the remnants of the almost 24 mile route and GPS as much of the railbed as possible. I came upon this site while doing some searching and was hoping some interested party would have either some info or maybe some direction for me. I have learned that the Laurelton rail road was somewhat connected and have obtained the Wildcatting in the mountains book as well as a few other articles and books. I am trying to find original pictures of the train station in White Deer as well as the Carroll station an Loganton. Also,I have missed out on a couple pictures of the No 1 and No 2 engines and would like to locate some. I want to help my local Historical society with my information. All of this started when I built a new garage and found several railroad spikes which we believe are from the Railway. I want to try to find the spurs that ran up on the mountains in Sugar Valley where they hauled logs from as well as the Rauchtown spur.I was just hoping and wondering if anyone here could help me.
Pat Harmon
[email protected]
 #923813  by bignastyGS

Been GPSing the railway bed from Carroll Pa towards Loganton and the bed is really evident..Also,bought 5 original pictures from 1906-1907 from Ebay.Kinda pricey,but the historical society will appreciate it. Here are just a couple pics of the rail bed.

And an old original picture from 1907...

#923969  by bignastyGS

As far as I have documentation for so far it was shut down in the 1916-1917 area. It started as a logging railroad and then was extended to go through up to Loganton from White Deer. Approximately 24 miles with a few spurs for other logging roads. I am pursuing a spur that went off the main line at the moment.
 #926290  by bignastyGS

It's now on State Game lands and at one time must have been cleared for an easier walk to get to the top of the mountains. There are several places where you have to climb over logs,etc to keep going. I am now working on a section where it's mostly private owned land and it doesn't look as nice and groomed as this 2 mile run. Those darn ticks are out now as I already found two on me,but not imbedded yet..
 #927570  by bignastyGS

jgallaway81 wrote:Is this of the same White Dear fame as that now land-locked station with the seemingly abandoned equipment?

Well...yes and no. In the late 1800's to early 1900's the White Deer & Loganton railway started out as a logging railroad. Then in 1906 they decided to send a train up to Loganton(parallel with I-80 now) and back to the railroad station which is landlocked as of now. So, in essence it really is the same but didn't start out that way. I have found many more signs of the logging railroad rail beds as I am in the woods looking around. I have to now deal with ticks as I have been getting some on me everytime I head out on the railbed.
 #1008176  by oldschoolrail

John Duncan's White Deer and Loganton Railway (about 24 miles long from the village of White Deer in Union County west through Sugar Valley to Loganton) began passenger service with a first arrival in Loganton on May 10, 1907.In addition, mail was transported on the train, with conductor John Bubb ("remembered for his snowy white goatee") serving also as the mail carrier. He used a wheelbarrow to cart mail sacks back and forth between the Loganton train station and the post office, 1/2-mile apart.Incoming freight included coal, fertilizer and various types of merchandise. Outgoing freight mainly was finished lumber from a small sawmill in town.Unfortunately, the railroad never was extended west beyond the borough, and, with the depletion of timber resources, the railway couldn't operate profitably on the remaining passenger, freight and mail service. It shut down in 1916, with the rails promptly removed. The most noted of its four Climax locomotives, named "The Pot" because of its strange upright boiler and operated by engineer Floyd Meixsel, was sold to a brick plant in Watsontown. If your looking at the existing White Deer station the standard gauge rails to the right is the now defunked Reading Railroad. But the W.D.& L. Rye. Narrow gauge tracks were on the left side of the station. And yes the abandoned Reading Railroad equipment still on the tracks at the station is landlocked due to a bridge that collapsed during a flood about 10 years ago! But not for long, the Union County Industrial R.R. Is reactivating the abandon line through Allenwood. Pa. So they are replacing the bridge. I usually use google earth to trace old abandoned lines. But it's hard to do with the W.D.&L.Rye. Due to the fact it's been abandoned for over 100 years. It's awesome you found spike's from the old railroad bed. I have a 36in piece of narrow gauge track from it. It's pretty remarkable that there were once trains running through those mountains. If you G.P.S. The old railbed I would be very interested in the coordinates you get. Keep me informed on this post of your progress!
 #1010177  by pumpers

oldschoolrail wrote:And yes the abandoned Reading Railroad equipment still on the tracks at the station is landlocked due to a bridge that collapsed during a flood about 10 years ago! But not for long, the Union County Industrial R.R. Is reactivating the abandon line through Allenwood. Pa. So they are replacing the bridge
Why is U.C.I.R.R reactivating the line up north through Allenwood? Looking at aerial photos, it sure doens't look like any factories etc up that way that might be a source of traffic. And the reactivated section would only be a few miles -- so no need to put a transload site up there vs on the active track. Thanks for the pictures too. JS