Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by bones

On July 3rd I was talking to one of our Mechanical Officers about how Metra randomly assigns locomotives. Well it's not all random.

Apparently the newer event recorders keep track of miles. So to balance out miles, at times they will take a unit with higher than normal miles and swap it out with a unit with lower than normal miles from another district.
He told me that this is something you will see from now on.

An example: Sooner or later you most likely will see 400's from the Rock end up on the Milw, and visa versa. On the Rock we put about 45,000 miles a year on a 400, where as on the Milw we put closer to 100,000 a year on a 400.

So I was right, Metra does have a new dart board.

by F40CFan

Interesting. Is there a different dart board for the Winnebagos? Some seem to be migrating over to the MILW. Its also strange that none of the Winnies end up on the old C&NW lines.

by Tadman

I cannot comprehend why it's interesting to keep track of assignments of particular units - I'm sure some find it interesting, but all I care to know is which class operates on what lines, and that doesn't change much.

Maybe that's why I railfan the CSS/ME lines most - no questions what is assigned where. Geeps and single-decks on CSS, H1/H2 on ME.

by doepack

Tadman wrote:I cannot comprehend why it's interesting to keep track of assignments of particular units - I'm sure some find it interesting, but all I care to know is which class operates on what lines, and that doesn't change much
I suppose it can be useful for those trying to get roster shots of EVERY single Metra locomotive in currently on the property, at least it'll help to narrow it down by route. Besides, how else would we have known that unit 409 was involved in two RI derailments at the same location? Just proves that the data can be useful, albeit in a strange sort of way...
bones wrote:An example: Sooner or later you most likely will see 400's from the Rock end up on the Milw, and visa versa. On the Rock we put about 45,000 miles a year on a 400, where as on the Milw we put closer to 100,000 a year on a 400.

So I was right, Metra does have a new dart board.
Are the older F40PH's/F40PH-2M's also included in this mileage balancing arrangement?

by bones

All units are keeping thier miles in check.

The reason people are interested were units go is like following your favorite athletes.

When your favorite ball player gets traded to another team you keep an eye out for him. Then you wnder "gee, is he going to keep his same number, or get a new one", or gee, who is going to take his place now that he is gone"?

It's the same thing while watching units and rolling stock.

by AMTK84

Well I didn't totally understand why 100-102 and 210, 212, and 214 switched places, because MILW mannaged without Winnebagos before. But it all makes sense now. Now as to why 209 is here, I don't know.