Railroad Forums 

• Location of "Putnam Junction" (Brewster, NY)

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#779963  by SooLineRob

Hello forum,

Quick question.

Where was "Putnam Junction" located? I've seen references to this location in Conrail documents, and would like to know where it was, and what's it's called today (if it still exists).

Thank you.
 #780037  by DutchRailnut

Putnam Jct was south end of what is now MNCR's Brewster yard (including the wye).
This is where the Putnam Division branched off from Harlem towards Carmel.
 #780122  by SooLineRob

Thanks Dutch! I appreciate the quick reply.
 #781438  by Otto Vondrak

#782006  by SooLineRob

Messrs Vondrak and Weaver,

I also thank you both for the replies! I've seen references to "Putnam Junction" and "the Put", but never quite knew where or what the place was.

Thanks everyone!
 #783538  by AMK0123

You can still see what's left of Putnam Junction by driving on Putnam Avenue off of Route 6 in Brewster. There is about 100+ feet still just west of Putnam Ave. Metro North is currently using the track for MOW equipment. I've seen them in and out of there several times over the past few weeks.
 #783668  by DutchRailnut

You mean you can still see last 700' of putnam division, west of the Putnam Jct wye.