Railroad Forums 

• LNE Summit Hill/Lansford branch cleared

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#1363530  by carajul

The LNE track that goes from Tamaqua to Lansford thru Coaldale has been cleared and tank cars parked on it all the way to the Carbon County border at Lansford. Nothing on that track since the 1960s. While it's only used for storage nice to see the 3' of silt and vegitation on top if it is cleared. It's still double track with manual crossover switches still in place. I can't believe they were able to run anything over it without the rails separating or a derailment of sorts.
 #1363724  by pumpers

Amazing. Thanks for the update. How far does the double track go? I thought everything east from the small yard area around the breaker in Arlington (Tamaqua?) was single track. Jim S
 #1363801  by carajul

it is double track until at least behind the old train station in Lansford near the tunnel. I walked the track about 10 years ago and I threw several of the manual switches which activated crossovers between the two tracks.

One of my family members who lives in Tamaqua said that there are 100+ cars trains coming out of Arlington now. looking at the most recent satellite imagery it appears as though the Reading and Northern has rebuilt the five track yard at the Arlington breaker.
 #1364690  by carajul

Just a bit more explanation of the line in Lansford...

The line in 1969 was single track into Lansford, then just before the LNE train station a switch went off and it was double track for a while. The northernmost track then swung on a wye leg into the Hauto tunnel. There was another leg from the tunnel going toward summit hill, but by 1969 that leg was long gone.

Just past the LNE station there was another switch which again made the line double track. Then about 1/8 mile there was the Lansford coal processing plant and a large 8-10 track yard. Amazing it's all gone.

Just a tidbit... next to the LNE station that long building that is still there was a car shop for coal gondolas. Diagnal across the tracks from the LNE station was the LCNco corporate offices; it was a huge scary looking type building almost looked like a haunted mansion. I'm told it burned down in the 70s.