Railroad Forums 

• Livonia Avon & Lakeville Locomotive Roster

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#203762  by Luther Brefo

Hi,

It's a brand new year and with every new year comes great things. My great thing for this new year will soon be revealed to the railroad.net public. But for this project to come together correctly, I need to do some research on the Livonia Avon & Lakeville.

Specifically I am in need of an accurate account of all LA&L locomotives, their current status, road name, road number, current location, and any notes that you may feel is important. Thanks guys.

I've researched on various sites on the net but know for a fact that a lot of those sites are outdated by a few months minimum.

#203771  by scottychaos

I believe the roster on the NY Alco webpage is as accurate as they come.
it has been developed over the last year or so from the input of many local railfans..thanks! :P

I try to keep it "up to the minute"!

http://gold.mylargescale.com/Scottychaos/NY-Alcos/

Scot

#203776  by Luther Brefo

scottychaos wrote:I believe the roster on the NY Alco webpage is as accurate as they come.
it has been developed over the last year or so from the input of many local railfans..thanks! :P

I try to keep it "up to the minute"!

Scot
Thanks!

I think you know what this research is for...:wink:

#203807  by railwatcher

Luther,

I tend to concur with Scot's list remember that things are subject to change. Surely things will change as units are refurbed and ready to be put into service. Keep watching and you will know more.

Greg

PS: Good luck onyour project.
 #203828  by Sandy Burton

A couple of very minor updates to Scotty's nice roster....

When I last visited the LAL in mid November, I was told by Kevin that the RS-1 was stored serviceable in the old engine house. Also the C-425 was stored serviceable, just not needed at the present time.

I don't know if either of these locomotives have been used since then, but I have not seen reports to indicate that they were back in service.

Sandy
 #203842  by scottychaos

Sandy Burton wrote:A couple of very minor updates to Scotty's nice roster....

When I last visited the LAL in mid November, I was told by Kevin that the RS-1 was stored serviceable in the old engine house. Also the C-425 was stored serviceable, just not needed at the present time.

I don't know if either of these locomotives have been used since then, but I have not seen reports to indicate that they were back in service.

Sandy
thanks Sandy!
good info...

"old enginehouse"..
is that a different enginehouse than the current enginehouse in Lakeville?
I have never heard of a different LAL enginehouse..

thanks,
Scot
 #203872  by Luther Brefo

scottychaos wrote:
Sandy Burton wrote:A couple of very minor updates to Scotty's nice roster....

Sandy
thanks Sandy!
good info...

"old enginehouse"..
is that a different enginehouse than the current enginehouse in Lakeville?
I have never heard of a different LAL enginehouse..

thanks,
Scot
Is that up the hill on the spur remains of what used to go to Livonia?
 #204121  by Sandy Burton

The old engine house is south of the present engine house, almost to the end of track in Lakeville toward the lake. It has a single track as I recall, but I have not looked at it in quite a few years so I may be wrong on the account.

Sandy

#206645  by scottychaos

I just put together an addition to the NY Alcos page,
a "LAL Roster, sorted by location" list:

(this is just a screen capture, the real list is on the NY Alco webpage.)

There are now only TWO operating road units for Lakeville,
and EIGHT for Falconer! Image

this recent move of 3 units over to Falconer brings up some interesting questions!

1. Will some of the Falconer units move back to Lakeville?
maybe this is just the beginning of a loco "swap" for some reason?

2. will any of the units change "ownership"?
for example, will "LAL 420" become "WNYP 420"?
(I know they are all technically LAL units..but the LAL does subletter them for the different divisions)

3. With this new extension (Meadville-Rouseville line) will there perhaps become a 5th "base of operations" or a 5th Engine terminal area?
right now there is:
Lakeville
Falconer
Cohocton
Victor

will there perhaps soon be:
Lakeville
Falconer
Cohocton
Victor
Meadville??

Im not that familiar with the "West End"
will everything still be based in Falconer?
even with the new Meadville-Rouseville line?

Its going to be a fun year of Alco chasing! :P

Scot

#206662  by Luther Brefo

scottychaos wrote:I just put together an addition to the NY Alcos page,
a "LAL Roster, sorted by location" list:

(this is just a screen capture, the real list is on the NY Alco webpage.)

There are now only TWO operating road units for Lakeville,
and EIGHT for Falconer! Image

this recent move of 3 units over to Falconer brings up some interesting questions!

1. Will some of the Falconer units move back to Lakeville?
maybe this is just the beginning of a loco "swap" for some reason?

2. will any of the units change "ownership"?
for example, will "LAL 420" become "WNYP 420"?
(I know they are all technically LAL units..but the LAL does subletter them for the different divisions)

3. With this new extension (Meadville-Rouseville line) will there perhaps become a 5th "base of operations" or a 5th Engine terminal area?
right now there is:
Lakeville
Falconer
Cohocton
Victor

will there perhaps soon be:
Lakeville
Falconer
Cohocton
Victor
Meadville??

Im not that familiar with the "West End"
will everything still be based in Falconer?
even with the new Meadville-Rouseville line?

Its going to be a fun year of Alco chasing! :P

Scot
Thanks Scot.

I wondered about some of the question you brought up myself...

I am certainly glad to see 425 and 421 back in action. I think they shipped those extra engines over to the WNYP because they anticipate more traffic and more frequency of service...

It does worry me that at "home" (LA&L) only two road engines are currently in active service. But then, what is there to worry about?

Personally I would have like to see 424 stay and work with 425.

Maybe this means 20 will actually come back to service...haven't seen that one yet.

#206757  by sallenparks

Scot I think C424m 423 is still in Cohocton you have in based in Falconer.Other wise good list.

#206931  by scottychaos

sallenparks wrote:Scot I think C424m 423 is still in Cohocton you have in based in Falconer.Other wise good list.
thanks!
I think you are probably right..
I really dont know why I have Falconer listed for 423 and not Cohocton.
most likely I never heard about the move, so it didnt get recorded.

423 was in Cohocton in March 2005.
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1523
anyone seen her there lately?

everytine I have been to Cohocton in the last year, I have never seen 423 there! although im almost always there on a weekend, and she is probably locked up in the enginehouse then..

can anyone confirm 423's location?

thanks,
Scot

#206943  by railwatcher

Scot, I figured out where I saw the picture. www.wnyprr.com has a picture taken by SMT of WAFO-19 in Snow and #423 is the lead engine. Now the question is... the date of the picture?

Greg