Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by benltrain

What are the purposes and rider stats of the following stations:

Mt. Pleasant, Mantinou, Breakneck Ridge, and Appalacian Trail

I know two are for hikers, but what kind of ridership do these once-or-twice-a-day stations get?

by Nester

Mt. Pleasant is a cemetary

Manitou can be used for hiking, but based on my travels on the hudson line it gets a handful (less than 5) commuters using it daily.

Breackneck Ridge and Appalachian trail are hiker stops.

I don't have the rider stats for MN.

by benltrain

who take mn to a cemetery?

and does anybody know how many hikers use it?

by Otto Vondrak

who take mn to a cemetery?
Who takes MN to a cemetery? People who don't have any other means of getting there. Enough people where MN felt it was needed to continue the stop on a limited basis.

As for the hikers stations, well, they are there for the benefit of hikers and bike riders who want to come up from the city, do some recreational activity, and then return. During the warmer months, "ridership" at Breakneck Ridge is fairly high. And these stations are minimal facilties which don't cost much to keep open.

by benltrain

i'm suprised that a cemetery would attract enough ridership to even have the station.

maybe i'll try hiking up near one of those stops.

anybody have stats or personal observations on what kind of ridership there is at these stations?

by bellstbarn

Visiting the graves of the deceased is not a dead custom. That's why the LIRR serves Pinelawn with between 8 and 10 midday trains daily. Pinelawn (on the Main Line) serves three or four cemeteries, and Mount Pleasant serves another cemetery in addition to Gate of Heaven, whose offices adjoin the station. I have no idea when the transportation of caskets by LIRR or NYC baggage cars to those stations ceased, but I bet it happened into the 1940's.

by benltrain

i just didn't realize people would take metro-north to visit their loved ones in enough quantity to get a stop. they do set it up so you can go there in the morning and come back at night.

so... hikers and cemeteries

do any of these stations get regular commuters?

by n01jd1

Nester wrote:Mt. Pleasant is a cemetary

Manitou can be used for hiking, but based on my travels on the hudson line it gets a handful (less than 5) commuters using it daily.

Breackneck Ridge and Appalachian trail are hiker stops.

I don't have the rider stats for MN.
I am surprised Manitou has remained a stop. I am sure that far more railfans have taken refuge in that little shelter than paying passengers have.

by Maybrook fan

I wouldn't call Appalachian trail a station. Its more of a stop. Its a platform of 2x4's and plywood.

Someone asked if commuters used these stations. I can't speak for the others but there isn't a decent place to park at Appalachian trail. And not all trains stop there, Just certain weekend trains in the summer is all I've ever seen stop there. although someone more in the know could give better schedule details.

by benltrain

do mt.pleasant or mantiou get commuters.

i know there is a rush hour train from mantinou

by Nester

I did not pull the 3 to 5 commuters a day figure for Manitou out of thin air. I've been on the weekday train that serves that stop (inbound and outbound).

I don't ride the Harlem line regularly, so I can't comment about Mt. Pleasant.
  by Noel Weaver

There used to be two passenger stations, Mt. Pleasant and Kensico
Cemetery, when the New York Central many years back wanted to cut
both of the station, there was a fuss so one was kept and Metro-North gets
sufficient business there to keep it open.
Checked baggage for this area was handled at Valhalla until sometime in
the 1950's.
In the 1950's the trains handled more than just people for the cemetery at
these stops as a few rush hour trains also made these stops.
Noel Weaver

by pnaw10

benltrain wrote:i'm suprised that a cemetery would attract enough ridership to even have the station.

maybe i'll try hiking up near one of those stops.

anybody have stats or personal observations on what kind of ridership there is at these stations?
On a quick side note, I first thought Kevin might have been a little jumpy by locking your post about speed limits, but now I can side with him. Once you ask a question, WAIT a while. Plenty of people were answering... you don't need to keep asking your questions over and over. Also, you keep asking questions people have already answered in previous posts, both in this thread and in others.

Back to the topic... to answer all your questions in one summary since the individual messages didn't seem to register:

1) Mount Pleasant is at a cemetary (actually two adjacent cemetaries). Many people from the city have relatives buried up there, and if you don't have a car and don't want to pay for cab fare from NYC up into Westchester, then the train is another option to get there. "Do they set it up so you can go there in the morning and come back at night?" Check the schedule.

2) The other three stations are for hikers. As Otto mentioned, the ridership stats are higher in the warmer months, when more people head up from the city to go hiking or biking. The weather probably also has an effect on Mt. Pleasant, as the cemetaries are rather large. It's quite a long walk to many sections.

None of these stations have the large parking lots or platforms that most other stations do. None of them are in heavily residential or business areas, so they're not "major destinations," except for a handful of people. That's why there are only a few weekend (and sometimes off-peak weekday) trains stopping at these places... and if there ARE any commuters, they're probably just a handful of people who happen to live within walking distance.

3) I believe some posters already answered your question about their personal observations about ridership, even before you asked. If you want hard numbers, visit www.mta.info and ask the MTA. I don't know if the numbers are public or "classified," but if they are public, that's the only way to get the "official" numbers you seem to be seeking.

Could these stations see more passengers? I doubt it. Mount Pleasant is literally surrounded by cemetary land, so there's no way ample parking (or access) could be built to accomodate a full load of commuters.

Breakneck and Manitou are "out of the way" places that probably aren't as convenient to get to, as other nearby stations on the Hudson Line. Metro-North would also have to spend megabucks to build parking lots and make the platforms bigger and better. Until the surrounding stations are expanded to the max, and they exceed capacity every day, I don't see where commuters would go out of their way for these stops, when they can get to the existing full-time stations pretty easily.

As for Appalachian Trail... it's a little more accessible, right near NY Route 22. However, the Harlem Valley-Wingdale station isn't too far to the north. If the trail wasn't there, or if it wasn't such a "major" interstate trail, the station probably wouldn't be there either. The two stops are too close for every single train to be stopping, especially considering it's diesel territory (trains take longer to get to full speed) and there's just one mainline track with a few passing sidings... the quicker you can keep things moving during rush hour, the better.

by Penn Central

benltrain wrote:i'm suprised that a cemetery would attract enough ridership to even have the station.
Mt. Pleasant isn't the only station MN customers use to visit the dearly departed. Woodlawn is another stop near a large cemetary. My dad's stepfather owned and operated the Hartsdale Animal Cemetary on Central Avenue for many years and he would tell stories about people who would visit their lost pets in all kinds of weather. That is a hike from the Hartsdale MN station.

by dc700

FYI The Mt. Pleasant stop covers more than just oneCemetery