Railroad Forums 

• Little Rock & Western C420 #101 sold?

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#479951  by Alcoman

I understand that Little Rock & Western C420 # 101 was sold. Anyone know more ?
This is a former Long Island Railroad C420 # 207

#481035  by thebigham

They also have #102. Is this in operating condition?

#481090  by Alcoman

I just learned from a reliable source that these Alcos are safe and sound on the LRW.
End of story.

#481673  by GOLDEN-ARM

Not so sure that is "great" news. The GWI prefers to run 645/710 powered EMD's, to consolidate their parts inventory. Sure, they have a few 567's around, but they have a corporate rebuilding program, that rebuilds them with 645 parts, under a low HP switch engine rebuilding program. Not much future for Alcos, on a GWI property......... :(

#481866  by Luther Brefo

What else is on the LRW property? As per the statement that GWI is not Alco friendly, I guess we'll just have to be vigilant about keeping tabs on these engines such that when the time comes for GWI to replace them with fuel thirsty EMDs we can get a head start finding them new homes on "friendlier to Alco" territories.
 #579321  by Alcoman

Just Received 9/16/08

Genesee & Wyoming Inc. and the Little Rock & Western Railroad are accepting Best Offer bids for two (2) each used Alco C420 locomotives. The locomotives are described on the attached informational sheets and are offered on an as-is, where-is basis.

Bids will be accepted for one or both locomotives until Friday, November 7th, 2008, at 12:00 NOON.

If you wish to make a bid on this equipment, please email your bid to the contact information below.

Terms of the sale are attached and are offered only “as-is, where-is” condition. Purchaser is responsible for all costs associated with the movement of the locomotives including; prepping, lifting, loading, etc. Other terms and conditions apply surrounding this sale and are enclosed as the attachment.
For more information or to arrange an inspection of the locomotives, please call or email the contact person below listed on the offer.

Send all Bids to [email protected] .
David L. Powell

Vice President - Motive Power

Genesee & Wyoming Inc.

4337 Pablo Oaks Court, Ste. 101

Jacksonville, FL 32224

Direct: 904-596-7781

Photos were included. 101 needs 1 TM and Generator. 102 is running.
 #705670  by SSW9389

I saw a C420 at the Arkansas Railroad Museum while visiting on August 5th. I did not get a close look at the unit because I was too busy visiting with Museum staff. The unit is out on the whisker tracks across from the Museum that are connected by the transfer table.

Ed
 #1487742  by alcoAL

Does anyone know how the LIRR 207 was modified into the 101? It looks like the end steps were changed and of course the fuel tank. For the short hood, it looks like the former high hood was cut down, and the very top of it used as the top of the new short hood with the roof hatch. Just curious about how they went about it.