Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by railtrailbiker

A group of state and local officials got a firsthand look at a light-rail system yesterday in New Jersey, where economic development has boomed in a blighted area since the service began four years ago.

Elected officials, transportation and planning experts wanted a ride on the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail because it is similar to one of the options being considered as a public transit solution for the Tappan Zee Bridge corridor.

"It's important to see how the service really works," said Orangetown Supervisor Thom Kleiner, who joined Spring Valley Mayor George Darden as the elected officials on the trip. "You can't get that from looking at a slide show or reading a report."

The New York State Thruway Authority and Metro-North Railroad are evaluating whether light rail can relieve pressure on the Interstate 287 corridor, a 30-mile stretch from Suffern to Port Chester that faces growing traffic volumes and congestion.

http://www.thejournalnews.com/newsroom/ ... trail.html

by DutchRailnut

Light rail only has slightly better passenger capacity then the bus.
on average a crush load LRV load is about 110 persons or 3 buses.
you can however run buses closer together.
my choice would be heavy rail.

by NIMBYkiller

I think for the first time, DutchRailnut and I agree. Make it heavy rail.