Railroad Forums 

• LHR C420s Radio Equipped - How?

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

#1396714  by amtk908

Greetings All:

I have been doing some research on the LHR C420s for a model that I am working on; unit 23 specifically. I have been trying to determine how the units were "radio equipped." I understand that for the cabooses, the crews were issued portable radio packs. For the C420s though, I have been researching all of the photos that I can find but can find no trace a radio antenna anywhere on the units; no skate blades or firecrackers or whips. Does anyone know if perhaps portable radio packs were issued to the engine crews, as well, or am I missing an antenna location on the C420s?

Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide.

Regards,
Cliff
 #1396800  by Marty Feldner

Here ya go; base-loaded whips, on top of the long hood just behind the cab roof. (A close-up from one of my shots- I got that question from Bob Mohowski a while back, and I had to really dig through my stuff to find this. The whip is really hard to spot in photos...)
Attachments:
C420 Antennas.JPG
C420 Antennas.JPG (107.32 KiB) Viewed 17424 times
 #1396831  by amtk908

Hi Marty,

Thanks so much. Yours is the only photo that I have ever seen that shows the whip; and I've looked at quite a few. That certainly solves the mystery! Thanks again so much for having the answer and evidence!

My regards,
Cliff