Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#872057  by FL9AC

With the new software in the M7's it has been far less of an issue since then and less cars are O.O.S because of that.
 #872143  by Wayside Observer

I'm noticing more cars on the NH Line have very loud wheels. I guess there is only so much MN can do about slip/slide as it has been a problem to railroads the world wide since the first trains ran on rails.
 #872155  by DutchRailnut

actualy the problem only started since introduction of composition brtake shoes.
the cast iron shoes never had the slip slide problem
 #872261  by Noel Weaver

We ran the old MUTS and the 4400's on the New Haven with no slip/slide problems for years. As Dutch stated, it is the brake shoes. When they started using composition brake shoes they jacked up the brake cylinder pressure but of course I have been away for a while now so I am not sure exactly what the situation is today.
I could tell some more stories about this but not tonight.
Noel Weaver
 #872264  by DutchRailnut

cast iron shoes make the wheel tread rough, the composition shoe polishes the wheel.
A composition shoe also has a higher friction rate, therefor grabbing the wheel.
 #872457  by 7express

Patrick A. wrote:How has the slip/slide conditions been on the territory this year? On the New Haven Line it looks like the leaves haven't impacted travel much as none of my trains have had any trouble.

Funny you should mention the slip/slide. On 1530 this afternoon, only the first car was supposed to be off at Green's Farms, but because of the slip/slide they couldn't stop so they took the second car off as well.
 #872524  by brettj22

Last night's storm seems to have made rough going on the Harlem today. 953 completely missed Pawling and had to back up this afternoon.
 #872780  by Otto Vondrak

Patrick A. wrote:How has the slip/slide conditions been on the territory this year? On the New Haven Line it looks like the leaves haven't impacted travel much as none of my trains have had any trouble.
My train has consistently overshot stations between Harrison and Stamford over the last week or so.

Cut some trees back from the ROW and you won't have this problem create such an impact on operations. Oh wait, MN can't/won't spare crews to go out and cut trees. Never mind.

-otto-
 #872784  by IrideNHline

Was on a NH line train home last week during some of the rain and encountered an emergency stop due to wheel slippage. It was kinda fun.
 #872946  by RearOfSignal

IrideNHline wrote:Was on a NH line train home last week during some of the rain and encountered an emergency stop due to wheel slippage. It was kinda fun.
It's not fun when you're already in emergency and sliding towards a stop signal.
 #872975  by andre

Otto Vondrak wrote:
My train has consistently overshot stations between Harrison and Stamford over the last week or so.

Cut some trees back from the ROW and you won't have this problem create such an impact on operations. Oh wait, MN can't/won't spare crews to go out and cut trees. Never mind.

-otto-
oh come on otto we both know that if mn did the logical all the nimbys would complain about the noise of chain saws and the treehuggers would be out in droves protesting :wink: :wink:

but on a serious note: the slipping hasnt been so bad on the danbury branch from what I noticed, the crews have been doing a great job coping with it, iv noticed that the engineer may start slowing the train earlier before a station stop then normally would be done in the summer/spring time
 #872985  by RearOfSignal

Otto Vondrak wrote: My train has consistently overshot stations between Harrison and Stamford over the last week or so.

-otto-
First off MNR doesn't cut down trees they hire contractors to do it. Don't know about the NY portion of the New Haven Line, but you'll regularly see Asplundh track cars on the ROW on the H&H.
 #873014  by DutchRailnut

correct and once a tree is off railroad property we can't touch it, having 150 foot maples next to right of way and 50 feet from nearest rail will still dump loads of leaf on rails.
 #873039  by Otto Vondrak

DutchRailnut wrote:correct and once a tree is off railroad property we can't touch it, having 150 foot maples next to right of way and 50 feet from nearest rail will still dump loads of leaf on rails.
But doesn't the width of the railroad ROW vary? Can't end right at the edge of the ballast... Can it?