Railroad Forums 

• Late 1940s, 1950s Passenger Train - NY to Buffalo

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#493124  by BMTGrandson

I would like to buy a toy train of the passenger train that my Grandfater used to ride to vacation in the late 1940s and 1950s. It was the NYC line and he would take it from Long Island (or New York City) to Niagra Falls.

I have seen several types offered by Lionel, but just don't know what one is the right era. He remembers that the train was pulled by a Steam Locomotive and thinks the cars were a very dark green.

So far my best guess is a Berkshire Loco (Lionel 6-28639) pulling NYC Twentieth Century Limited Heavyweight (Lionel 6-15521). There is also a generic NYC Passenger Car (Lionel 6-35101), which is ALOT cheaper, but it might be the wrong color and something called the NYC Streamliner (Lionel 6-15180).

Any help would be appreciated. I am new to this and have been hunting around the net for a few hours trying to figure it out. I can post some photos of the models if that would help (and if I can figure out how).

Thanks,

Phil