Railroad Forums 

• Last working roundhouse in USA?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#889865  by scharnhorst

Steam Town in Scranton, PA has a fully restored turn table and round house in use.
 #906813  by factorone33

UP has a turntable at their hump yard in Kansas City, MO, that I believe is still operational, but not used very much.

KCS' old roundhouse is now an office building, and it sits next to Santa Fe Junction, one of the busiest rail interface junctions on the continent. The building is still in its original shape, and they've even placed an old Pullman KCS car on the remnants of the original turntable.
 #907908  by scharnhorst

Alstrom in Hornell, NY also still uses the old DL&W Turn table at its subway car factory there.
 #933444  by giljanus

I surprised that these were not listed:

NECR - St. Albans, VT
St. Albans Turntable, Roundhouse and Enginehouse
used to maintain NECR locomotives

VRS - Burlington, VT
Burlington Turntable and Roundhouse
used to maintain some VRS locomotives

VRS - North Walpole, NH (opposite Bellows Falls)
North Walpole Turntable and Roundhouse
used to maintain some VRS locomotives (and contract work)

Gil, known as Bill somedays ...
 #985743  by rovetherr

To add to Gil/bills post, the main shop for the VRS is in Burlington, all non running repair work is performed there for all system loco's, except for the GMRC 405 which is maintained in North Walpole. North Walpole is mainly used for car repair, but retains the operating turntable as stated.

And to add one, the Conway Scenic has an operational table/house in Conway, NH. At least it was the last time I was there a few years ago.
 #985798  by Desertdweller

I'll add a couple more to the list:

The last time I was in Wisconsin Rapids, the GB&W had a roundhouse but no turntable. Don't know if it is still there. C&NW and MILW had enginehouses there, too, but I don't remember if they were roundhouses.

UP's ex-D&RGW Burnham shops in Denver had a turntable, but no roundhouse the last time I looked on Google Earth. The roundhouse has been replaced by a linear shop, but a couple tracks extend out the back of the building to the turntable. If you look on Google Earth, you can still see the "ghost" of the little narrow gauge turntable. Like many features that show up on satellite pictures, I'm not sure if this can be seen from ground level.

When I worked for the Rock Island at Iowa Falls, our yard office was located in the surviving office annex of the 1869 roundhouse. Several stalls remained, but no turntable or rail access to the building. The stalls were used as storage space for a local grain elevator.

There are still lots of remnants of roundhouses no longer in service. The foundations, including filled-in inspection pits, of the AT&SF roundhouse at Deming, NM are still there. The turntable pit for the C&NW at Pierre, SD exists as a place trucks can back up to loading dock doors. The roundhouse for the CB&Q exists without rail connection at Deadwood, SD. This building has an extended stall for parking mallets. The old Midland Terminal roundhouse at Colorado Springs is a pottery works. The C&NW roundhouse and turntable at Rapid City were still in use when I worked for the DM&E. There must be many more, especially in railroad-rich places like Chicago.

Les
 #988281  by scottychaos

scharnhorst wrote:Alstrom in Hornell, NY also still uses the old DL&W Turn table at its subway car factory there.
Marty Feldner wrote:I didn't realize the Lackawanna served Hornell. You learn something new every day...
It didnt..its the Erie yard/shops/turntable in Hornell.

Scot