Railroad Forums 

• Lackawanna Cutoff Passenger Service Restoration

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1583473  by Roadgeek Adam

The NJ Transit proposal was Lackawanna Avenue right before Bridge 60. This is the spot..
 #1583477  by Roadgeek Adam

photobug56 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:19 am I don't remember this building or what Bridge 60 is.
Bridge 60 is the Lackawanna bridge over the Lackawanna River west of Steamtown. The building next to the tracks is the Bridge 60 interlocking tower.
 #1583479  by photobug56

This I understand. Neat photo. Location more or less what I expected. Is that the 'old' Martz station or just Greyhound? And which side of Lackawanna Ave would the station be? By the busses? Which would raise the question to me about grade crossings and the like.

In regards to grade crossings, as I grew up in Scranton into the early 70's before college, I don't remember ever having any train including freight crossing Lackawanna Ave. But when my wife and I visited several years ago for a Central / Tech HS reunion, one day as we went down Lackawanna (near the State offices I think) traffic wasn't moving at all, and we looked up and saw a freight train crossing the street.

As to the 'River', any water in it last time you saw it? When I was a teen volunteer at CMC ER, we had a junkie brought to the ER, covered in mud, high as a kite out of what was then referred to by some as the Lackawanna Sewer.
 #1583480  by Roadgeek Adam

Re-reading the report, my map is incorrect on station locale. The station would be on the track to the NE on that shot across Lackawanna Avenue from the bus station.
 #1583481  by cjvrr

Adam,

I didn't read the report, but that location would be on the branch to Carbondale. Not really advantageous to pull past and back into the station.
 #1583692  by R&DB

cjvrr wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:29 pm Adam,

I didn't read the report, but that location would be on the branch to Carbondale. Not really advantageous to pull past and back into the station.
I agree. Would be better to pay Steamtown to use their facility.
 #1583696  by photobug56

They might need to move Big Boy 4012, I believe, to a different location to clear the space. Could be interesting, though, to have weekday commuters share a parking lot with mostly weekend visitors to Steamtown and Electric City. Unless there's a better spot. Also, consider that someday someone might want to pay to extend North to Binghamton - if that happens, where should the station be? And regardless, one would think that there needs to be room to store a couple of trains, plus use if needed the repair shops on property for the local freight railroad .