• KCS units to Derby

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

by CN9634

Heads up.
Message recieved from David Graham
CP train 242 is approaching Toronto at this hour with KCS 625 (SD45) and
KCS 653 (SD40-2) in consist. They are showing destination of Derby, Maine
and should be passing through Quebec in the next few days.

Keep all eyes on Derby.
Thanks David.

-Charles H

by uhaul

Why the trip to Derby?

by CN9634

Excellent question :-D

by MEC407

I wonder if this is a similar situation to a few years ago, when several MMA units were laid up with bad traction motors (due to the heavy snow), which forced MMA to temporarily lease a couple of units to make up the difference.

Or maybe these units have been purchased by another RailWorld property, and Derby has been chosen to do the repainting and/or rebuilding.

I guess we'll find out when we find out. :wink:

by Realityrail

The units are being sent to Derby for overhaul, and after that, they will be sent to Panama for operations. I heard that three will be rebuilt in kind (but not painted) and another unit will have the internal machinery rebuilt and packaged for shipment to Panama.

All this due to the marketing of Rail World Locomotive Leasing.

This is another rebuild project for the expert mechanics at Derby.

by Tadman

Isn't that SD45 really a SD45 body with a 645-16 after a MPI rebuild during the 90's?

by CN9634

Yes it is. In recent news 663 has been found after being lost for quite a bit of time out west and I do not believe it will go through Canada. Keep an eye open in Southern Maine for this unit to come through PAR. :wink:

by Bryanjones

Tadman wrote:Isn't that SD45 really a SD45 body with a 645-16 after a MPI rebuild during the 90's?
yes and no. While the unit is only an SD45 carbody and actually rebuilt to SD40-2 specs and classed as SD40-2, the unit was rebuilt by VMV in Paducah,KY and not MPI.

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY