Railroad Forums 

• KCS/CP Merger Discussion

• Discussion related to the past and present operations of Kansas City Southern Lines, including affiliates Texas Mexican Railway, Grupo Transportation Ferroviaria Mexicana (TFM), and Panama Canal Railway Co. Official web site can be found here: KCSOUTHERN.COM.
Discussion related to the past and present operations of Kansas City Southern Lines, including affiliates Texas Mexican Railway, Grupo Transportation Ferroviaria Mexicana (TFM), and Panama Canal Railway Co. Official web site can be found here: KCSOUTHERN.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#1581129  by justalurker66

I have often found 1000 word posts to become tl:dr ... even when I have authored them (too long - didn't read). We still got 476 words with a 153 word complaint/explanation of why there were not more. I believe the points that were intended to be made were made in less words. For long posts one might consider composing them offline in notepad or whatever plain text editor one uses. I have lost a couple of masterpiece posts over the years but I have also written a couple and (intentionally) hit the close window button instead of the submit button when I realized that the post was tl:dr eligible.

(BTW: I just went to WordCounter.net to count the words in that post and the last text I counted, 1237 words I posted elsewhere, was still in the browser from over a month ago. And I have rebooted and shut down this computer several times.)

As far as the "on topic" discussion, I wonder how much of the talk is garnering support from KCS shareholders who have emotional ties to their railroad (without losing support from CP shareholders who have emotional ties to CP as a railroad). I can see "CPKC" being used in some form on legal documents. I am having trouble believing that all the logos and paint jobs will change losing both CP and KCS in favor of the mixed name.

I am keeping in mind that the STB is referring to this merger as: "CANADIAN PACIFIC RAILWAY LIMITED; CANADIAN PACIFIC RAILWAY COMPANY; SOO LINE RAILROAD COMPANY; CENTRAL MAINE & QUEBEC RAILWAY US INC.; DAKOTA, MINNESOTA & EASTERN RAILROAD CORPORATION; AND DELAWARE & HUDSON RAILWAY COMPANY, INC. – CONTROL – KANSAS CITY SOUTHERN, THE KANSAS CITY SOUTHERN RAILWAY COMPANY, GATEWAY EASTERN RAILWAY COMPANY, AND THE TEXAS MEXICAN RAILWAY COMPANY" Legal names that would only be remembered by historians and nerds (and I am proud to be one).

I see no reason to make any major changes to either operation or divest lines. The only changes would be the use of other lines to get current CP traffic to places KCS serves and current KCS traffic to places CP serves. I assume CPKC would choose the cheaper/better route even if it means using trackage/carriage rights over another railroad.
 #1581406  by NotYou

I had an idea today. It has been stated how Canadian Pacific Kansas City is a terrible name and a mouthful: well I fully agree. The combined name should be: Kanadian Pacific Southern.
 #1581442  by John_Perkowski

Paint?

It’s been 25 years since the BNSF merger and I still see Warbonnet, Blue bonnet, Bn green, and Grinstein green, in addition to at least 4 BNSF schemes (including BNSF Warbonnet).

Paint will happen as new units get ordered.
 #1581444  by Gilbert B Norman

Colonel, they will have a "ceremonial" unit ready to go on M-Day just as did Amtrak on A-Day. But so far as a fleetwide "crash" reliverying, "nah".
 #1581445  by CN9634

I find the name discussion funny-- everyone said the same with Burlington Northern Santa Fe / "BNSF" and yet here we are living our lives as normal.... who cares exactly in the long run? No one.
 #1581449  by Gilbert B Norman

Wholly agree, Mr. CN 9634.

A shipper could care less how an engine is liveried or for whom his car served as someone's easel. All he cares about is that the car is available when promised by the Traffic Department and there are competitive rates with CN (IC) on Lakes to Gulf shipments. Further, even if CP-KCS, owing through the more circuituous MILW-KCS routing (and over MILW's Class 2 track) they need three days instead of two, they can be relied upon to deliver.
 #1581549  by ExCon90

From what I've been reading it will need to be -- Savanna to Kansas City needs to jump a generation as quickly as possible.
 #1581552  by NotYou

What do people think will happen to the old Alton RR Kansas City - Springfield / St. Louis line? Think CP/KCS will keep it or sell to a short line or CSX or CN?
 #1581571  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Ex Con, the KC line "back in my day" (70-81) with the MILW was mostly 30mph. By today's FRA measurements, that would be FRA Class 2. Col. Perkowski could not be more "on mark" suggesting as soon as there is a closing, Class 3 or higher should be "Priority One". CP-KCS is at a competitive disadvantage, considering its "Mainline through the Ozarks" profile as is with the CN's (IC)'s "From the Mississippi Delta rolling on down to the sea".

Mr. You, I have no idea of the present state of the Alton X-Missouri line. I "had heard" - even "back in my day" - there are weight restrictions on the bridge X-ing "Ol' Man River", which would result in any train of size having to "double", i.e. leave half the train behind, X, then return for the rest of it. Just one more reason the CN "wasn't the right girl"; ignoring of course the virtual monopoly they would have had on North South traffic. But your observation is, indeed, "on mark".
 #1581660  by MattW

Anyone have any guesses to what's going to happen with the Meridian Speedway and the NS run throughs?