Railroad Forums 

• Junk Train

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#75316  by biker

I just happened to be passing over the bridge in Franklin, NJ Monday night when the NYSW came by. It was hauling junk - garbage. They were in gons and other cars that seemed to be box cars with their tops cut off. All were filled up to the brim.

#75416  by rcbsd45

That is the bread and butter of the railroad these days, it would appear. There are three places at the east end odf the railroad that load debris like that which you saw. it is not uncommon for all three customers to have close to 50 cars per day, between them, to send west. only thing holding some of the cars back may be the alllowable tonnage over Sparta mountain, plus the available horsepower. But debris like this is now a staple for the NYSW, and apprently it is a very successful commodity for them.

#76141  by trainfreak

Im pretty sure that the trash goes to CSX at Syracuse.

#76165  by rcbsd45

The freight that moves west on the SU-99's is blocked for three different destinations: NS Binghamton, CP(D&H) Binghamton, and CSX Syracuse. I'nm not sure which block gets placed in which order, but I do know those are the destinations for the westbound freight. Likewise, the SU-100 gets its freight from the same three interchanges, although with the recent NS/CP(D&H) agreement, there may be just one Binghamton block insyead of the current two. And it certainly seems like the CSX interchange is handling the lion's share of the traffic theses days.