Railroad Forums 

• Italian motors

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1390154  by philipmartin

Postby philipmartin » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:11 pm

Benny wrote:
Classes E 645, E 646 and E 656 were equipped with six double traction motors (two rotors on the same body) that were considered as twelve motors.
But this is out of theme. If you are interested in Italian locos we can open another topic.

Thank you for enlightening me, Benny. E626s are what I think of when I think of Italian motors, (electric locomotives.)
 #1390313  by Benny

In these days I am moving to a new home but early I will prepare something about italian locos.
Wait or come here to help with the moving.

Ciao :wink:
 #1390316  by philipmartin

Benny wrote:
Wait or come here to help with the moving.

I'll be right over, Benny. Lima, here I come.
 #1390394  by Earle Baldwin

Hi, Philip.

Italy's railways are one of my areas of special interest regarding foreign trains. I've been able to collect a fair number of Italian railway books and DVDs for my shelves along with a representative roster of locomotive models in HO scale. I also have a number of FS passenger carriages in N scale. I'm extremely interested in the classic electric locomotives of FS.

Bob
 #1390565  by Benny

Well, here a short summary of DC italian locos.
The first attempts to use electricity for railway traction were made using batteries, then came the three phase current that revolutioned operations on mountaneous lines but with various problems (a complicated double catenary, difficulties in varying speed etc.).
There have been also some attempts for the use of DC by third rail but these were not satisfactory.
In the second half of the 20s the Benevento-Foggia line was experimentally wired with 3000 V DC and results were so good that this became the standard for electrification in Italy with the progressive conversion of the lines that used three phase current.
The pioneers, from 1928, were E 626 locomotives, built in four series for a total of 448 units. These were built with a central two axle truck forming part of the main frame and two outer two axle trucks; all axles were motored with a total hourly rating of 1850 kW. The maximum speed was of 95 km/h (appr. 60 mph) and their use has been for freight or local trains. During their long career these locos received lots of modifications, in the end there was were not two identical units, and their operating life ended at the start of the 90s more because of the drivers protests (they were really uncomfortable) than because of bad functioning. Now there are some units preserved as historical locos.
626-seravalle--010881.jpg
626-seravalle--010881.jpg (145.07 KiB) Viewed 4450 times
Photo by J. Stilling
626251-200992rovigo2.jpg
626251-200992rovigo2.jpg (225.09 KiB) Viewed 4450 times
Photo by S. Paolini
The two photos are courtesy of Photorail, probably the best italian railway photography site

For the time being enjoy this little post; let me finish the moving and I will follow on.

Last edited by Benny on Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1390687  by Earle Baldwin

Yes, thank you for the wonderful post. I'm very fond of my Italian model trains. My locomotives consist primarily of models manufactured by A.C.M.E., Os.Kar and Rivarossi. They are simply exquisite. I'd post pictures of them but they're all presently in their boxes. I don't have a European themed layout; however, I did join the Central Jersey Chapter of the European Train Enthusiasts earlier this year so I expect that will provide me with some opportunities to run them.

I've posted links to the A.C.M.E., Os.Kar and Rivarossi websites which should give you an idea as to how well made their models are.

http://www.acmetreni.it/index.php/en/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.oskartrains.it/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.hornby.com/us-en/shop/brands/rivarossi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bob
 #1391103  by Benny

Due to the excellent results on the Benevento-Foggia line, FS (Ferrovie dello Stato,the state owned railways operator) abandoned the three phase current and new electrifications were only at 3000 V DC. For heavy express trains on the main arteries there was the need of faster and powerful locomotives so, in 1931, born class E 428. These large locos had eight big driving wheels of 1880 mm (approx. 6.15 ft) and a two axle truck at each end for a better guiding in curve, as was the know how
of the steam traction, and each driving axle was equipped with a double electric motor for a total hourly rating of 2800 kW.
In the end were built a total of 242 machines divided in three series: the first one with boxes in the front ends, the second one with a semi-aerodynamic shape and the third one with aerodynamic ends resulted after studies in the Guidonia test plant. E 428s took immediately service with the heavy express trains but they resulted very aggressive with the track because of the large wheels and high weight so their original maximum speed of 130 km/h (approx. 80 mph) was lowered during the years and when the class has been retired they were authorized only to 100 km/h (a little more than 60 mph).
With the coming of more modern classes the E 428 were downgraded to local and freight trains until the start of the 90s when the last ones were put out of service.
For this class too some units have been preserved as historical locos.

An unidentified first series E 428 enters Milano Centrale station with a long distance train. February 12th, 1972. Photo B. Studer
720212-FS-03 copia.jpg
720212-FS-03 copia.jpg (151.97 KiB) Viewed 4372 times
E 428.145, a semi aerodynamic member of second series, during a shunting movement in Ravenna. June 1st 1975. Photo B. Studer
750601-FS-02.jpg
750601-FS-02.jpg (169.5 KiB) Viewed 4372 times
Aerodynamic E 428.209, a third series one, transit alone through Monselice station in 1983. Photo W. Hardmeier
E428239e.jpg
E428239e.jpg (183.26 KiB) Viewed 4372 times
The three photos courtesy of Photorail, probably the best Italian site of railway photography.
It will follow.

Last edited by Benny on Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #1391104  by Benny

A nearly unknown class of DC locomotives is E 326. Smaller sisters of E 428, these 12 units were built in 1931 for fast, light trains and equipped with six enormous driving wheels of 2050 mm (6.75 ft), the biggest diameter in FS, the guiding trucks and the same traction motors of the bigger sisters.
Immediately E 326s showed a so bad attitude with the railway equipment that they were nicknamed "breaktracks", so after a little their maximum speed was lowered and the locos downgraded to local passenger services. Assigned to Bologna depot, from the end of WW2 they quietly worked from there to Padova, Piacenza and Rimini until the first 80s when their life expired.
The only preserved unit is exibited at the national railway museum in Pietrarsa (Naples)

E 326.002 waiting the working time at Ravenna in 1974. Photo W. Hardmeier
E326002a.jpg
E326002a.jpg (198.36 KiB) Viewed 4371 times
E 326.006 with a local train in Rimini station in 1973. Photo W. Hardmeier
E326006a.jpg
E326006a.jpg (167.07 KiB) Viewed 4371 times
The two photos courtesy of Photorail, probably the best Italian site for railway photography.

#1391109  by philipmartin

Excellent, informative posts, Benny, along with those magical Italian place names such as Rimini, Piacenza, Padova, Ravenna, etc.

I still say "he who fights and runs away lives to fight another day."
:wink:
 #1391232  by philipmartin

For clarity, where I come from the word "motor" referrs to an electric locomotive.
 #1391252  by Benny

Well, I always referred to an electrically feeded movement generator as an electric motor or, in case of a locomotive, as a traction motor. If the USA railroad slang use another word let me know this one and I will be happy with it.

#1391256  by johnthefireman

There are different terms in different parts of the world. In South Africa an electric locomotive is called a unit. I think In South Africa and in Britain motor often refers to powered cars in a DMU or EMU, as well, of course, to the actual electric motor on the driving axles of a locomotive or multiple unit. In several countries I think rail motor refers to a single powered passenger-carrying vehicle, sometimes including powered trolleys used by track gangs. I don't think I have ever heard the word motor refer to a locomotive.