Railroad Forums 

• Iowa Interstate ALCo. units...

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#50473  by Alcoman

"Komachi wrote:
Why not send 'em up here to the Minnesota Commercial? They already have one (that I know of) M-420 unit on the roster and it, too, is an ALCo. friendly road.

I read somewhere where MC wouldn't buy anymore Alco's apperntly that was just a myth."

The MC is disposing of the Alcos as they come in for any major work. According to my sources, the MC shop says its cheaper to buy cheap GE junk rather than fix the Alcos.
Since GE's are known as throw-away locomotives, no major money is put in a GE....just throw it away when it dies!

#55227  by route_rock

Well he has GE and junk right :-D FYI 802 is now the regular CB switcher(there is that darn engineer again taunting Uncle Petes guys :P )Will it ever get back to Chicago?I dont know I would hope so.If it does get on aCBBI train I will let you all know

#98484  by Scotty Burkhardt

i live just a few miles from the iais burr oak yard. the last time i saw an m-420 in blue island was well over 2 years ago. mostly EMD is used in blue island. theres some leased stuff too.

#119880  by route_rock

Well the IAIS has gone to AA meetings I guess. No More Alcohaulics for them. Latest rumor on the IAIS yahoo group is that they were bought and just this week they were run Omaha to the Windy to go to a new owner. Now its all EMD for the IAIS .
 #198064  by EJ&ESDM809

Unfortunatly, all of the M420s have been sold and sent to New Jersey. The IAIS roster is almost entirely GP38-2s as all but a few GP8/10s have also been sold. 400, 403, 468, 481, 485, and 495 are still in service, along with the 600s, and the new 150 SD38-2s.Also, 4 Ohio Central SD40-2s have been leased to IAIS. Unfortunatly, they are all in weathered UP paint with OHCR on the side. There goes another interesting roster.