Railroad Forums 

• Intermodal to Saint John

• Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPR.CA. Includes Kansas City Southern.
Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPR.CA. Includes Kansas City Southern.

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#1595794  by F74265A

Maybe I missed them, but I have not seen any hapag ships arrive in recent days. Perhaps a rotation was annulled for Easter break?
 #1595846  by CN9634

Another back to back call coming up…. Should be announcing more Hapag calls with a new service soon to SJ soon.
 #1595925  by F74265A

It would be great if the new svc includes some outbound loaded boxes to reduce the deadheading of wells eastbound
 #1595966  by NHV 669

Been getting lots of interesting power mixed in, 7022 has been a frequent visitor, 7010, 7016, and the Hapag-Lloyd unit have all made appearances in the last week. 7022 led 223-17.
 #1596106  by BobbyT

Is there a plan to get more containers on the EB trains? I'm having hard time believing that this can be a very profitable operation for CP. I know that several EB's lately have only had @ 15 manifest cars, I wonder if CSX has already started shifting traffic to ST behind the scenes?
 #1596119  by CN9634

There will soon be 2-4 trains per day as the intermodal/autos will separate out for a new steamship service coming.

Also, everyone tends to forget, probably because it happens at night, but 132 stops and works both Farnham and Sherbrooke on the way east. There are good chunks of cars dropped at both locations and we rarely ever hear the car count leaving St. Luc. It has been observed with 233/251 adding 40, 50 or even more cars after the Sherbrooke/Farnham pickups on the way back West in Quebec.... fortunately for them out there it is flat, or they have a 4 axle they can tag along for extra tonnage.
 #1596133  by BobbyT

CN, how much business is this new steamship service expected to provide CP with? I can see the reasoning behind wanting to run a dedicated IM/ML train, but are they really going to run a separate daily train for the manifest business, which as discussed, is only going to shrink in the months ahead? Even if it doubles the IM business, I still don't see there being enough combined traffic to fill out even one true PSR sized train. Perhaps they run an extra section when needed as in the 2-4 trains per day you mentioned? Also, will this bring about a more balanced IM flow? As I mentioned before, running all those empty wells East has to be killing the economics.
 #1596192  by CN9634

I don't see the manifest shrinking much if at all in the coming weeks/months. Irving hedges traffic, they don't rely on a single line. CP just hired almost a dozen new conductors and are still offering $10K bonus... soooooooo staffing up is a big indicator.

The new intermodal is a dedicated 7 day a week train. Manifest will run several days a week separately, but unlikely to be 7 days at first.