Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#66927  by Otto Vondrak

While sitting in traffic in Harrison this morning at 9:15, I saw MN 222 and 221 back-to-back and they sailed through Harrison station eastbound with the three-car MN inspection train in tow. I caught a glimpse of people in the rear obs, so it didn't appear to be an equipment move. Were we just taking the train out for a spin today?

-otto-
Last edited by Jeff Smith on Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Repurposing Thread - Admin
 #67041  by H.F.Malone

They were taking the CDOT officials out for an inspection of CT lines.
 #285454  by Otto Vondrak

Two gennies back-to-back plus MN 1, MN 2, and M3 just rolled west through Harrison... was this a shop move or a planned run?

-otto-

#285471  by Nester

I saw them in GCT this morning and there was a Car Dept. employee on-board setting something up -- I would think the trip is planned if they were hauling them around like that (the back-to-back Gennie setup seems to be the norm for planned trips so that they can run-around and head back to GCT).

#285640  by DutchRailnut

It was planned and went to New Haven than Danbury and back to GCT.

#285740  by Clean Cab

It broke down just east of Larchmont!!! Apparently an air hose between the 2nd Gennie and MN2 broke and it took a few minutes to get it repaired. I guess the VIPs on board got a taste of real life situations!!!

#285786  by DutchRailnut

A few years back at least a few of VIP's would have helped to change the hose, today they would debate if we realy need the hose to begin with ;-)

#285788  by L'mont

Who was on the train, and what would they have been doing there?

#285876  by Clean Cab

The "Inspection Train" usually has line superintendants, chief operating officers and other guests on board to inspect various parts of the MN territory, or to check on the progress of various projects. Yesterdays trip went from GCT to New Haven, then up and down the Danbury Branch, then back to GCT.

#285983  by Noel Weaver

DutchRailnut wrote:A few years back at least a few of VIP's would have helped to change the hose, today they would debate if we realy need the hose to begin with ;-)
Either that or they would all be out there telling the train crew how the job
is done.
Noel Weaver

#286735  by JuniorMan24

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh dont give em any more ideas to take jobs.

#286737  by Rockingham Racer

DutchRailnut wrote:A few years back at least a few of VIP's would have helped to change the hose, today they would debate if we realy need the hose to begin with ;-)
I hope there were cocktails. :P
 #307641  by Otto Vondrak

Observed 209 and 219 pulling the inspection train (MN 1, MN 2, MN 3) westbound on the New Haven Line around Mamaroneck today around 4:00pm.

-otto-

#307779  by DutchRailnut

Not inspection train, MN health department visiting outlying points to give flu shots and other health info

#308131  by StevieC48

Thats a unique way to deliver flu shots. I heard of vans in the communities but that is unique.