Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1210171  by Gilbert B Norman

....and a railroad man at that:

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/08/27/ ... terim-ceo/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brief passage:

• CHICAGO (CBS) – The Metra Board has selected a 40-year “railroad man” as its interim executive director, to help move the troubled transit agency forward.

WBBM Newsradio Political Editor Craig Dellimore reports Don Orseno has been serving as Metra’s operations chief, and has been working in the railroad industry for 40 years.

“He’s got a lot of experience in the market that we’re in. We run a railroad, and Don is a railroad man,” Acting Metra Chairman Jack Partelow said.
We should note that this appointment is on an interim basis, and METRA has not had a railroad man at the throttle since Mr. Pagano.

But the outfit is a political cesspool, and Mr. Orseno's could be looking at the same fate as was Mr. Clifford, or over at Amtrak, Mr. Gunn.
 #1233941  by Gilbert B Norman

Ever wonder why the first 1950 vintage CB&Q bi-levels remain in METRA service today and that newer equipment has been retired.

After the immediately noted Naperville incident, 'Q's' management decided that they would accept nothing less than Budd's 'built like a brick (out)house'. Indeed a wise decision.

Oh, and speaking of life in 'the land of the Burlingtons', what happened this afternoon? I went into town to have a meet-up with Mr. Dunville at Miller's Pub. Rode 1272 in and although it arrived CUS on time at 458P, I was quickly engulfed in the chaos suggesting some kind of service disruption. When I returned, things still weren't sorted out, and I rode 1287 (dp 652p) which was going to add additional stops at Westmont and Fairview (regularly non-stop to Main St) and seemed like the best bet even considering the one mile (rather than my usual half) walk back to my home in Clarendon Hills.

Any ideas, anyone?
 #1233966  by doepack

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Oh, and speaking of life in 'the land of the Burlingtons', what happened this afternoon? I went into town to have a meet-up with Mr. Dunville at Miller's Pub. Rode 1272 in and although it arrived CUS on time at 458P, I was quickly engulfed in the chaos suggesting some kind of service disruption. When I returned, things still weren't sorted out, and I rode 1287 (dp 652p) which was going to add additional stops at Westmont and Fairview (regularly non-stop to Main St) and seemed like the best bet even considering the one mile (rather than my usual half) walk back to my home in Clarendon Hills.

Any ideas, anyone?
Switch problems at the south end of CUS tonight, which pretty much turned the evening rush into some kind of a banana republic. Metra will probably post something in more detail on their website in the next day or two.

On a side note, they should really do something about the overcrowding in the south concourse when delays like that happen, that's not a safe situation...
 #1234241  by Tadman

After arriving home (a long process for me too - my car was in the west loop, it was frigid walk) I heard on the radio that commuters were asked to adjourn to the grand hall to alleviate overcrowding. Not sure how successful that was.
 #1234488  by EricL

Great Hall has plenty capacity, but commuters are too afraid to wait there, since they think it's too far away and they might miss their train. Or heaven forbid, they miss out on that same seat in that same car that they snag every night.
 #1251700  by doepack

To ease overcrowding, Metra is looking at leasing as an option. Wonder if Caltrain has any surplus equipment...
 #1251771  by c604.

Vermont was mentioned, what cars would those be? I know of three green and yellow cars right here in IL that aren't used in the winter and could use a good overhaul If Metra wants those back for the winter months ;-)
 #1251849  by Milwaukee_F40C

I saw Virginia mentioned, not Vermont. Those cars would most likely be ex Metra/CNW Pullman and St. Louis cars that were sold to VRE. VRE got enough Sumitomo cars to replace them. Some were going to be given to the Army for transportation to a training site, but they decided to keep using chartered buses. So all the old cars must be sitting around somewhere if they haven't been sent to scrap.

The Michigan cars are probably these, ex Metra/CBQ Budds:
http://www.sterlingrail.com/classifieds ... hp?id=7548" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They were bought by Great Lakes Central, for use in SEMCOG/WALLY/MITRAIN/whatever commuter rail scheme Michigan is planning, which sounds like it is close to being a dead issue. About two dozen were refurbished, there's apparently a bunch more that aren't.
 #1251865  by c604.

I see they corrected the article since last night. VRE makes much more sense.
 #1251890  by MACTRAXX

Milwaukee_F40C wrote:I saw Virginia mentioned, not Vermont. Those cars would most likely be ex Metra/CNW Pullman and St. Louis cars that were sold to VRE. VRE got enough Sumitomo cars to replace them. Some were going to be given to the Army for transportation to a training site, but they decided to keep using chartered buses. So all the old cars must be sitting around somewhere if they haven't been sent to scrap.

The Michigan cars are probably these, ex Metra/CBQ Budds:
http://www.sterlingrail.com/classifieds ... hp?id=7548" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They were bought by Great Lakes Central, for use in SEMCOG/WALLY/MITRAIN/whatever commuter rail scheme Michigan is planning, which sounds like it is close to being a dead issue. About two dozen were refurbished, there's apparently a bunch more that aren't.
Everyone: Interesting news concerning METRA's car shortage...Getting the listed group of 24 former BNSF cars back from Michigan would certainly help...

The VRE's former C&NW or Rock Island painted bilevels are definitely another option...

I fully agree that a ten percent spare ratio is needed in the overall count of METRA cars...

Could NJ Transit or MBTA help with short-term leasing of some retired or soon-to-be retired single level cars (if necessary)?

MACTRAXX
 #1275039  by doepack

The FRA is coming in to visit Metra. And they plan to be here for awhile, 45 days to be exact...
 #1275449  by Tadman

doepack wrote:The FRA is coming in to visit Metra. And they plan to be here for awhile, 45 days to be exact...
Interesting, I saw this in the paper yesterday and the question arises - how does a train get reported for speeding like this? Rider complaints? Employees on board? I've been on plenty of trains before where there were some good shakes, but the average person has no clue how fast you're really going and may be scared by a few low-speed (but perfetly legal) jolts and yet have no idea if they went 20+ over MAS on good tangent track.

If you've ever been on Amtrak #3/4 in the diner on the ex-ATSF 90mph track, you know what I mean. It's a bouncy ride but it happens all the time and certainly not a violation of rules.
 #1275475  by F40CFan

Tadman wrote:
doepack wrote:The FRA is coming in to visit Metra. And they plan to be here for awhile, 45 days to be exact...
Interesting, I saw this in the paper yesterday and the question arises - how does a train get reported for speeding like this? Rider complaints? Employees on board? I've been on plenty of trains before where there were some good shakes, but the average person has no clue how fast you're really going and may be scared by a few low-speed (but perfetly legal) jolts and yet have no idea if they went 20+ over MAS on good tangent track.

If you've ever been on Amtrak #3/4 in the diner on the ex-ATSF 90mph track, you know what I mean. It's a bouncy ride but it happens all the time and certainly not a violation of rules.
They might have gotten caught by the radar gun. I see them out at A-5 now and then. I'm sure they cover other lines also.
 #1275486  by qboy

Well if that speeds stated in the article are accurate 61MPH for 40MPH X-over, and 47MPH on a stretch of track that is 30MPH. That can't feel good and can easily draw the attention of passenger especially if your a regular passenger. I'm not familiar with the Rock Island Line where these 2 speeding incidents are reported to have occurred. I run of the UP West Line(Geneva Sub) and I tell you there are couple spots while the timetable speed is 70MPH. It may feel ok to me going 65-70MPH the Conductors in the back will tell me hey the stretch of trk around MP 15 is rough, and tossing us around passenger and are wondering if things are ok even though I wasn't speeding! Of course Metra BNSF, and UP will get the complaint and will investigate check downloads of that train and maybe others if need be to see if its and isolated incident. Most cases it wouldn't make the papers but in this day and age it the reality! I usually find my job easiest when no one complains or even get a occasional thank U in morning that works for me! Heck I've learned from crew some passenger call tell when I'm running or the Extra Board Engineer is working my train!