Railroad Forums 

• IN MEMORIAM - GEORGE LODEWIJK WYBENGA (1937-2016)

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1424792  by nyandw

http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrex ... ralist.htm

It is with great sadness that the RMLI Board of Trustees announce the passing of Trustee George L. Wybenga on October 27, 2016. George served the Board as a liaison to the Long Island Sunrise Trail Chapter - NRHS but became more then an appointed representative.

Known for his outstanding watercolor paintings of cabooses from across North America, he generously created the image of engine #39 that we use on our museum jackets and 25th Anniversary letterhead. George designed seven of our Lionel collectible cars which began with the Wonder Bread PS-2 covered hopper and closing with our trio of G-16 50th Anniversary Commemorative Cars.

At one time George worked as a sign painter and his sign work appears all about our Museum properties. George was a good friend and mentor and he will be missed by everyone who came to know him. RMLI Postboy Winter-Spring 2017 issue
 #1426246  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

I will remember George for how cordial that he was to his fellow LIST-NRHS members.

After I became aware of his caboose art whenever I came across pictures and other information
concerning the whereabouts of cabooses either on display or in service I forwarded it to George
and he was very appreciative. He would mention some of the long road trips that he took to do
some of his artwork sketching or photographing cabooses for his drawings.

Much of his artwork can be found at http://www.cabooseart.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Memorial Service for George is scheduled for tomorrow 4/1 at 2:30 pm in Port Jefferson.
Information concerning this can be found up above this post if anyone is planning to attend.

Rest in peace, George. You will be missed but not forgotten whenever we see cabooses (or hacks
if one is from LI) out there...MACTRAXX