Railroad Forums 

• If I'm certified for the job, why wasn't I interviewed?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1336272  by COEN77

abc8251 wrote:I'm certified as a Conductor, but was denied an interview with CP. At least they were nice enough to email me. I don't get it though. I'm literally qualified for the position I applied for.
Certified as a conductor? Do you work for a shortline railroad? Went to a school? I've been retired from the RR for 5 years there was some talk back then of an FRA certification for conductors.
 #1336421  by gp80mac

abc8251 wrote:I'm certified as a Conductor, but was denied an interview with CP. At least they were nice enough to email me. I don't get it though. I'm literally qualified for the position I applied for.

If you were literally qualified, that meant you already worked for CP and your qualifications were up to date. Sorry, but a Modoc "certification" doesn't mean crap in the real railroad world.
 #1336458  by abc8251

Yes, the certification is from Modoc. A lot of people have been hired by railroads from Modoc, even into the Class 1s. I have had a couple of interviews since completing the program. One with NS, and another with a Class II. I have mixed feelings about the program though. I did learn a lot and the work was interesting, but the instructor was quite manipulative. They are recognized by the FRA. The cost of the school was very high (and they provided no housing or meals). I am unfortunately in a pretty desperate situation financially now :( I personally would prefer Amtrak over freight, but Amtrak has very few jobs and tons of applicants.
 #1336462  by abc8251

qboy wrote:Just wondering are trying to get on from another railroad or did you go to a school for that Conductors certificate?
The certificate is from Modoc. Interesting class, and a lot of people have been hired from it. The instructor is a hothead though. Proclaimed to be an "expert" on everything.
 #1336464  by abc8251

COEN77 wrote:
Certified as a conductor? Do you work for a shortline railroad? Went to a school? I've been retired from the RR for 5 years there was some talk back then of an FRA certification for conductors.
The certification was from a school called Modoc Railroad. The FRA now requires all Conductors to be certified.
 #1336470  by DutchRailnut

yes but railroads do not like outside schools, they like doing their own certification, the school certification might get you a chance at a short line or regional, but not the big guys.
 #1336471  by 8th Notch

Keep trying is all I can say! Unfortunately the certification you received from Modoc can mean little to nothing in a class 1's eyes since they still are going to school you and you really aren't considered "experienced" even though you may bear a cndr cert card.
 #1336475  by abc8251

8th Notch wrote:Keep trying is all I can say! Unfortunately the certification you received from Modoc can mean little to nothing in a class 1's eyes since they still are going to school you and you really aren't considered "experienced" even though you may bear a cndr cert card.
Thanks for your insights. I got a rejection email today from NS about an interview last week :( The job was in a great location. I had a good feeling about this one too. I talked about being the safest employee, never taking chances or short cuts. I wish I knew exactly what they're looking for! They won't tell you either. I do get the feeling they want veterans. Maybe Modoc is hurting me. It's frustrating because I've seen people get hired right out of high school at 18. Oh well, maybe the interview with the Class II will come through. I'm almost ready to pursue another field entirely. I wonder what becoming a pilot is like.
 #1336556  by Gadfly

abc8251 wrote:
8th Notch wrote:Keep trying is all I can say! Unfortunately the certification you received from Modoc can mean little to nothing in a class 1's eyes since they still are going to school you and you really aren't considered "experienced" even though you may bear a cndr cert card.
Thanks for your insights. I got a rejection email today from NS about an interview last week :( The job was in a great location. I had a good feeling about this one too. I talked about being the safest employee, never taking chances or short cuts. I wish I knew exactly what they're looking for! They won't tell you either. I do get the feeling they want veterans. Maybe Modoc is hurting me. It's frustrating because I've seen people get hired right out of high school at 18. Oh well, maybe the interview with the Class II will come through. I'm almost ready to pursue another field entirely. I wonder what becoming a pilot is like.
Becoming a pilot is even MORE expensive---WAY more. And like the railroad, it doesn't mean you will get hired for anything. It takes YEARS for new pilots to get onto an airline, for example, and that's often after spending those years bumming around a local airport, serving as a flight instructor (CFI), maybe shuttling the mail. You have to build flight time (hours) to even be considered for the most menial flying job. You might fly corporate after awhile, then get on a grave yard run to Stick-um-in-the-mud, USA, or some piss*** little puddle jumper line, etc. I've known people who were in their 40's--even 50's--before they ever sat in the right seat, much less served as a Captain. Who knows. you might get lucky............??

Back to railroading. Getting a "certificate" from a "railroad U" will not necessarily help you. Some roads frown on it, some will hire on it, some prefer to simply hire someone off the street and train them their way. Timing is also everything. If there are furloughed people, these get first dibs on the bid-in bulletins. You will NOT waltz in and get hired ahead of existing employees; that I am sure you know. NS, I believe, is one of those who would prefer to train their own "green" hires, sending recruits to McDonough, Ga for same. When I hired to Southern (which became part of NS), I had never heard of a "railroad U", and I did OJT. ................cleaning out old filthy box cars. And that was BEFORE I ever went to McDonough to train on Agency work.

Not to discourage you...you CAN get hired. But it may not be an easy process. Hiring out to a railroad hardly ever is. If this is something you want, then you will have to stay after it. You might HAVE to accept other employment while continuing to try for the RR. Perhaps, in the near future, there will be a real need to fill, all other employees have bid in, other qualified candidates have been hired, and it is now YOUR turn. I can't tell you if "railroad U" helps or hurts; I am no expert. My own feeling is, it doesn't really help you, wastes a ton of money, and leaves some wantee's (if there's such a word) :-) waiting.

Best of luck, tho.

Gadfly
retired NS