Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: JamesT4, metraRI

by F40CFan

c604. wrote:Oh yeah I definitly agree with you, I was just playing devils advocate. But remember, something has to go to make up for the cost of those lobster dinners :wink:
You're right, what was I thinking.....
  by doepack

Spotted 7836 at CUS today, assigned to a 5-car NCS set. Didn't have time to really poke around inside, but from the outside at least, it looked to be in slightly better shape than 7825...
  by doepack

Car 7848 has now entered service, assigned to today's UP/W 53...
  by AMTK347

I rode in 7825 today on UP north #326. The seats are still the flip-back seats like those found in the 8200s. The seats have been upholstered like the 6000s.
  by doepack

AMTK347 wrote:I rode in 7825 today on UP north #326. The seats are still the flip-back seats like those found in the 8200s. The seats have been upholstered like the 6000s.
What was the ride quality like?
  by doepack

Saw 7825 again at OTC today, still on the same UP/N runs as reported earlier in the week. Included in the consist are club car 553, plus some older 7200/7300 Budds; other than the cab, there was only one other newer, 6000 series trailer. The set almost looked like a rolling museum posing as revenue equipment, and was tempted to snap a pic, but I'm pretty leery about whipping out the camera at Chicago Passenger Terminal (or OTC for you youngsters...)
  by Tadman

Speaking of this matter, I took quite a few pics at Randolph last week. The NICTD people never bug me. The Metra people are different. After ten minutes, I got dirty looks from the car cleaners. I had two employees not in uniform just stare and scowl, so I hit the road. I'll post the pics later. No trespassing was involved, nor pictures of employees. Just bad attitudes.
  by doepack

Tadman wrote:Speaking of this matter, I took quite a few pics at Randolph last week. The NICTD people never bug me. The Metra people are different. After ten minutes, I got dirty looks from the car cleaners. I had two employees not in uniform just stare and scowl, so I hit the road. I'll post the pics later. No trespassing was involved, nor pictures of employees. Just bad attitudes.
I know what you mean, and I've also noticed an increased security presence at OTC, especially during the afternoon rush and into the evening, which only raises the intimidation level to a factor of 10. All the more reason I don't even think about taking pics inside; even though it's not illegal, it's just not worth the risk and hassle. It's a shame we're still even having this conversation more than 7 years after 9/11, and it really sucks. The world has changed, alright, but in this case, it certainly isn't for the better...

Give us a shout when you've uploaded the pics, thanks...
  by byte

I've heard NICTD's police chief is a railfan. Might explain why when I was there last summer taking pictures and asked the officer standing there if it was okay to do so, the reply was a befuddled "yes," as though it shouldn't be an issue at all. Not ten minutes later, on the Metra platform, my buddy and I were told "No pictures, guys!" by a conductor. This was followed up by an appropriately terse letter from the photo editor of the Daily Illini (who was the other enthusiast with me) to Metra. Their response was something along the lines of "we'll clarify policies with those employees in question," but I have a feeling that these "policies" really depend on who's managing each crew base. Metra's GREAT at running trains, but their big problem is that they're behind on everything else. The website, ticket purchasing, and integration with other forms of mass transit are three of the biggest faults I can think of.

(end off-topic drivel)
  by Illinifan

How many smooth-sided cars are running now?
  by doepack

Last I heard, there were four. Cars 7825 & 7848 are on UP, 7836 is assigned to Milw/NCS, and there's another one rumored to be on the Rock, don't know the car number...
  by metraRI

7840 was the first of the Pullmans to go in Service, which is on RID.
  by Illinifan

I rode the 7825 a few weeks ago. The lavatory space still exists, but it looks like Metra removed the toilet. All I saw in the former lavatory was the waterless soup dispenser.

I am glad some of those smooth sided cars are back in Metra service. Brings back the memories...
  by Illinifan

If I recall correctly, cars 7836 and 7840 have orange seats, while 7848 and 7825 have the dark blue ones.
  by F40CFan

Illinifan wrote:If I recall correctly, cars 7836 and 7840 have orange seats, while 7848 and 7825 have the dark blue ones.
The orange seats are the original seats, I believe. Are the dark blue seats the same kind as are in the 8500s?