Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#667836  by F40CFan

Last evening(05/04), there was a Pullman sitting outside the California Ave. shop building in what looked like a new coat of Metra paint. I was too far away to catch the number.
 #667970  by MetraPace

F40CFan wrote:Last evening(05/04), there was a Pullman sitting outside the California Ave. shop building in what looked like a new coat of Metra paint. I was too far away to catch the number.
That was 7838 (one of the cars that came from VRE).
 #668134  by superbad

i wonder if these cars might be painted into something totally new, ie: to match the new paint on the rebuilt locos about to come back up from kentucky?
 #669510  by metraRI

All 13 cars from UTA are sitting in 47th street yard, 11 coaches and 2 cabs. Kinda reminds me of what went on at Western Avenue with all the 8200's, however instead of being retired, the cars are being put back into service. Curious to see what 47th street does with them. I would be impressed if the interior came out looking like the 700's.
 #669537  by doepack

That would be cool. And if they did that, maybe Metra can really start mixing those cars in, instead of simply isolating them as the first one behind the locomotive. I wonder if they're going to put some on BNSF, or just shuffle some other stainless steel trailers to that line once these cars are released to service...
 #669815  by metraRI

mrconductor55 wrote:whats with the cars sitting in 47th with the old rta scheme? I aw them from the dan ryan this afternoon.
Go about a page back:
ljeppson wrote:I was right about the METRA cars being sent back to Chicago by UTA:

http://www.utahtransit.us/lnc1.htm

But I was quite mistaken about the fate of the last five which remained in SLC (they were scrapped):

http://www.utahtransit.us/lnc3.htm
 #670650  by Tadman

The RI train that arrives Joliet around 7p cruised under I-80 about 6:45 with a fresh painted carbon-steel bilevel today. Saw it on my drive.
 #670653  by metraRI

Most likely the car from VRE that has been floating around RI for a few months... which was on #419 tonight, arriving at Joliet at 6:53.
 #671117  by byte

I'm pretty sure I've seen that car before, and if it's the car I'm thinking of it hasn't been repainted. The paint on the roof looked pretty worn, and you could tell VRE had operated it in that scheme because there was this really obvious spot on the paint where that little "Metra: Owner" plate had been removed from. If they'd been repainted on Metra property, that spot would have been covered and the plate might have even been replaced.
 #671119  by metraRI

Something else noticable with the VRE cars... the Metra logo is much smaller than what it was before.
 #671628  by buddah

metraRI wrote:Something else noticable with the VRE cars... the Metra logo is much smaller than what it was before.

good observation I just now noticed that..... is this specifically for the VRE cars or all brought back repainted cars is the question.
 #671640  by Tadman

Nice pic grab. I cannot wait to waste an afternoon at Vermont Street this summer.
 #676364  by MetraPace

7840 was moved over to the UP about a week ago. I was fortunate to get a chance to ride on it. I was suprised to see that the seats are orange. I've also been able to ride on 7838 and 7848 and both of those have blue seats. All of the cars have the same types of seats, only the color of the vinyl is different.

Brad