Railroad Forums 

• I hope this is a good thing?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1280045  by NJT4272

Four former NJDOT / NJT E-8's that have languished for years are on the move.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=727513953953504

NJT 4258 - nee IC 4033
NJT 4324 - nee PRR 5905
NJT 4325 - nee PRR 5793A
NJT 4327 - nee IC 4023

They've had pretty interesting post-NJT lives. After retirement, they received some cosmetic and mechanical work at the former Rahway Valley engine house in Kenilworth, where the light branch rail buckled under their weight. From there, they went to Maryland where they worked for MARC for a short time. Ultimately, they would come to rest in Minerva, OH, where they have sat rusting for many years.

Reportedly, they are on their way to The Midwest Railway Preservation Society, in Cleveland, OH. What that means for them is unclear.

Hopefully its a good thing for the dwindling number of ICG-Paducah-rebuild E's that served NJ.

Interesting side note - I'm the proud caretaker of NJT 4324's original headlight lens, and temporarily installed it on NJT 4326 for a certain open house event in Boonton, NJ.
 #1280814  by cnj1524

It is to my understanding that the PRR units are to be restored to be used with former PRR dining cars under restoration(read this in RRMofPA Milepost)not sure where
they are to be restored
 #1280941  by NJT4272

cnj1524 wrote:It is to my understanding that the PRR units are to be restored to be used with former PRR dining cars under restoration(read this in RRMofPA Milepost)not sure where
they are to be restored
Used with former PRR dining cars? Where indeed! I would certainly like to know if that's going to happen out in Ohio somewhere or if that is happening in PA somewhere.

Was it in The Milepost simply because it was news of former PRR E8 preservation or does the RRMofPA have a stake in those units?

Inquiring minds want to know!
 #1281161  by GOLDEN-ARM

i did mechanical and electrical work on two units, when they were at kenilworth. i personally road tested them, between rt. 22 and kenilworth blvd, easily reaching transition, and 40 mph with them. this was done on the weekends, unbeknownst to the nys&w. :P
 #1281192  by NJT4272

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:i did mechanical and electrical work on two units, when they were at kenilworth. i personally road tested them, between rt. 22 and kenilworth blvd, easily reaching transition, and 40 mph with them. this was done on the weekends, unbeknownst to the nys&w. :P
40 mph!! Hot rodder!

How did you get them off the tracks at the engine house and on to the NYS&W? My recollection was that the light branch rail they were parked on bent so badly under their weight that the rail heads nearly touched the bottoms of their fuel tanks. I have photographic proof somewhere. They looked like they were sinking into the earth in Kenilworth!