Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#15833  by Skip-Stop

this Summer when I hopefully have a digital camera to capture the action. I know I'm talking buses, but I hope you people don't mind. :wink:

In any case, I have two main options: being driven there by a relative or go by mass transit. Speaking in terms of the latter, I'm assuming Metro-North will take me some distance Upstate. If I want to go to Albany, which line should I take? I'm thinking riding to the end of the Port Jervis Line or something.

#15872  by DutchRailnut

If you wanted to go to Albany you need to take Hudson line but MNCR will only get you there about half way.
you need a Amtrak ticket for the rest.
The port Jervis line you need to take out of Hoboken but once in Port Jervis your nowere as far as further transportation.

#15955  by NIMBYkiller

You could try Metro North Harlem line to White Plains and then Adirondack Trailways to Albany. If you just want to get to Albany, you could grab trailways or I think even Greyhound as well from either Brooklyn or PABT that'll go to Albany(does GWBBT have Albany buses too?) without a transfer. If you wanna stick to the rails, grab Amtrak out of NYP and take that to Albany(you can also take MN hudson to either Yonkers, Croton Harmon, or Poughkeepsie and connect to Amtrak there).

Hmmm, you could also try Metro North Hudson line to Beacon, then that Newburgh-Beacon bus link or w/e and then I think from there some bus company(Adirondack Trailways?) to Albany.

Just so ya know, Port Jervis is no where near Albany. If you are absolutely dying to take this line, I'd suggest getting off somwhere before Middletown where you can make a connection to a Shortline bus(wait...do they even go to Albany?).

#15977  by Otto Vondrak

A quick glance at the map will show you that Port Jervis is nowhere near Albany. The Hudson Line is a beautiful scenic ride. Beyond Poughkeepsie, you need to take Amtrak to get to Albany.

http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/mnrmap.htm

-otto-

#16004  by DutchRailnut

Nimby still has the concept wrong WE DON"T LIKE BUSES.

#16052  by NIMBYkiller

Hey, the guy asked how to get to Albany. Just givin him a list of options on how to get there. Besides, CDTA, to the best of my knowledge, is an all bus company. Geez, if ya don't like what I post then ignore it.

#16059  by DutchRailnut

and on a train board we give him train directions. now as for you ??
let me turn you in right direction:
http://talk.nycsubway.org/cgi-bin/bustalk.cgi :P :P :P :P

#16184  by NIMBYkiller

In case you never noticed, I am an avid poster there. Like I said, he asked for directions to where he could experience a bus company. I give him both rail and bus directions and yet, you slam only me.

#16318  by Otto Vondrak

yo NIMBY- Dutch is just tweaking you a little bit.

I think it's funny how you know all the coach line routes, though.

Besides, we all know busses are dumb. Hehe.

-otto-

#16327  by DutchRailnut

now Otto are you calling "the looser cruiser" dumb???

#17780  by KFRG

LMAO!
"The looser cruiser"!
 #18044  by Sean W.

Personally, I don't mind buses, but I prefer trains. Any form of public transit is good and usually quite comfortable, unless overcrowded. Like someone here said in their signature, "It doesn't matter how you tart it up and paint it, Bus Rapid Transit is STILL A BUS."

BTW I seem to be missing something. What the heck is "the looser cruiser?"

#18065  by NIMBYkiller

Sean W, you said it! All public transit is great.

BTW, by looser cruiser, they meant bus.

#18099  by roee

Just a question... why would anyone want to ride CDTA? There isn't anything great about the CDTA... I went to school in the Capital District, and besides transporting us drunks around... nothing special... I'll say having the CDTA run the school shuttle was nicer than old school busses, but still... it's just a bus.

BTW.. to get there.. take Amtrak.. and check out the new Rensselaer train station. I haven't actually been in it yet, but it looks really nice.

Eric

#18299  by NIMBYkiller

In case you didn't know, there are people who are busfans.