Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: JamesT4, metraRI

by Tadman

If you ride as often as I do, you probably notice there's a comedian operating red line trains. His comments are truly funny and welcome. I've never known much about him but I enjoy riding to work on his trains. Unfortunately, he's retiring today after 36 years on the job. Too bad, he was a good guy.

http://www.redeyechicago.com/news/redey ... 5231.story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"They're friendly and familiar phrases you've most likely heard if you've ever ridden the Red Line during commuter hours. The welcoming voice was from Michael Powell, a CTA train operator who today announced he is retiring after nearly 36 years with the CTA."
  by MACTRAXX

Tad: Good Red Eye article about CTA Motorman Michael Powell...This no doubt makes me think of my late Uncle who was a CTA
Motorman until his retirement in 1986 and noting that he work for the CTA since about 1976 I now wonder if he knew or remembered
my Uncle-I recall that he was a Line Instructor for probably the last 10 years of his CTA employment...

I noted the day run that Mr. Powell had - with his 36 years seniority he probably was able to hold any run out of any terminal he wanted to work
from and noting that he was a Woodlawn native he probably was based at Jackson Park for some time - and probably also worked non-revenue
runs like work train assignments - my Uncle held one of these jobs back in the late 70s/early 80s era nights...

I wish him well in his retirement and that he gets to enjoy a long and healthy life...MACTRAXX
  by keithsy

Mazel Tov to the gentlemen. Let him live and be well in retirement.