Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by dinwitty

Enlighten me

Southshore?

http://www.anacostia.com/css/css.html

I know business ownership and lay over several levels of ownership,
I never really knew what happened with the Venango guys.

by MikeF

What's the question? The freight operation, owned by Anacostia & Pacific, has been running under the "Chicago SouthShore & South Bend" name since 1989.

by dinwitty

do we have an official "Chicago South Shore and South Bend" railroad name anymore?

SouthShore is an obvious name change prolly to separate it from the predesessor.

Did the venango boys bankrupt or sellout?

pardon my 20 years of sleep.

by Tadman

The change in ownership between Venango and A&P was different - it was an official bankruptcy, and the name had to be changed. Compare this to prior sales between 1926 and 1984, where parent companies changed, but the CSS entity did not, meaning the name could stay the same.

by walt

The use of the name "South Shore" (by itself) to identify that property also has some history. That line was part of the Samuel Insull Chicago electric interurban "trilogy" along with the CNS&M (Chicago North Shore and Milwaukee RR) and the Chicago, Aurora & Elgin. During those days, the CNS&M was known as the "North Shore Line" while the CSS&SB was known as the "South Shore Line". As the only survivor of the Insull Lines, it is not surprising that the CSS&SB has retained that ID even through several changes in ownership and changes in its characteristics.

by MikeF

dinwitty wrote:do we have an official "Chicago South Shore and South Bend" railroad name anymore?
No. "Chicago South Shore & South Bend Railroad" does not exist anymore.

"Chicago SouthShore & South Bend Railroad" is the current freight operator and the owner of the freight equipment and some freight-only track.

"Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation District" is the current passenger operator and the owner of the passenger equipment and most of the passenger track and facilities.

by dinwitty

Insull bought the "Lake Shore" and renamed it to "South Shore" at bankrupt auction?

nobody rides the NICTD, its the South Shore :D

by walt

dinwitty wrote:Insull bought the "Lake Shore" and renamed it to "South Shore" at bankrupt auction?

nobody rides the NICTD, its the South Shore :D
True--- The interurban was known as the Chicago Lake Shore & South Bend RR from 1912 until 1925 when Samuel Insull bought it at a foreclosure sale and re-named it the Chicago, South Shore & South Bend RR.