Railroad Forums 

• Hudsons with white stripes.

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#842338  by Howard Sterenberg

I have a NYC model RR that includes three Hudsons. One of the Hudsons (#5275) has white striping on the locomotive and the tender. I have never seen a picture of #5275 nor have I ever seen a picture of any Hudson with white striping. Did any Hudsons ever have white striping on the locomotive and the tender.

HS
Grand Rapids MI
 #842684  by NYC_Dave

I have seen a number of early photos of J-1 Hudsons with various combinations of 1 or 2 tender stripes (top and bottom), running board stripe, lower cab stripe and white-rimmed wheels including tender wheels. Half of these were builder photos. Some of these can be found in the Al Staufer NYC books. I don't imagine the stripes lasted very long.
Attachments:
nyc5275_bldr.jpg
nyc5275_bldr.jpg (38.3 KiB) Viewed 1047 times
 #842698  by scottychaos

A common story states that white stripes were often added by the manufacturer, for the builders photo only.
and the stripes were then removed, and the locomotive never actually operated in revenue service with the stripes.
(although it did technically have them at one point! ;)

Scot