Railroad Forums 

• Hudson's Bell

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1003185  by 215richb

Hello - I own the bell off the 5212. On it, it has a small New York Central System plaque bolted to it. Does anyone know if this was something added to the bell after it was removed from the engine or was this applied while the engine was in service? I have seen other NYC bells with this emblem, but have seen it painted different colors. Mine appears to have been painted a dark blue. Is there any significance to the color? Does anyone know where I can find a picture of the 5212?

Thanks
Rich B
 #1003542  by R Paul Carey

The NYC, like a few other roads in the 1950's, stripped the bells from a large number of its retired steam locomotives and held them for donation, or other disposition at the discretion of the Senior Management. Many, though not all, had a small area on the bell ground flat, with a NYCS oval applied (usually with a blue background). This was done for "presentation" - no NYC locomotive bells were modified in this manner while "in service".

In 1963, a neighbor (who was about to retire from NYC's Purchasing department), explained to me that these bells were initially held for disposition on approval of A.E Perlman, and that many were donated to mission churches in North and South America. By that time, there were a few left in storage at Collinwood and I was invited to purchase one for $50 (presumably their cost to handle), which we picked up at the District Storekeeper's office in Harmon. I still have that (unmodified) bell today.
 #1003902  by Pat Fahey

HI
I found a picture of NYC # 5212 , the photo was taken by Edward L May on August 30th 1941 , at Tivoli, NY . The photo came out of my Central Headlight Magazine , which is put out by the New York Central System Historical Society . I am sure if you contact them about there photo collection , you could get a better shot of the locomotive . Pat Fahey Milford, Mass
Attachments:
NYC # 5212 photo by Edward L. May
NYC # 5212 photo by Edward L. May
nyc 5212 # 2.jpg (42.85 KiB) Viewed 2067 times
 #1004136  by 215richb

Thanks for the information. I sort of thought the oval was applied to presentation bells as it was too small to have been noticed when the bell was on top of the engine. All though it's not quite original - it's a nice touch!

Thanks for the pic - that's great.