Railroad Forums 

• How to determine when the freight train will run by a house?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#1156566  by allbread

I'm not sure if this is the right section of the forum to ask this question - if so, let me know where and I will so my best to move the post.

I am looking at a house in Austin that is currently close to the tracks used for our local Metrorail line. I know that, during the day, the line is used exclusively for the Metrorail trains (which are relatively quiet) - however I am told that at night the line switches back to being a freight line.

Given the location of the tracks is there any way for me to track down when the freight trains are scheduled to run?

Thanks!
 #1156693  by kaitoku

Freight trains in the US generally do not run to a schedule- they run as needed or at the most on certain days of the week between certain times. Your best bet is to find out the name of the freight railroad operator on the stretch of line in question, and then ask in the appropriate section in this forum, or a forum focusing on railroads in Texas and/or Austin, if such exist.
 #1156729  by electricron

CapMetro owns the tracks in question, and contracts out freight services just like they contract out passenger services. I'm sure Herzog runs the passenger services, I'll admit I don't know who runs the freight services. There's little to no freight customers on the rail line in Austin itself. I believe most freight services are for crushed rocks, from a quarry north of Austin to facilities east of Austin. At most, you should be seeing full hoppers running east, and empty hoppers running west each night. You will not be seeing that many freight trains on the line. through Austin. There is an interchange with the UP (MoPac) line in north Austin where the passenger trains use a flyover, which could eliminate even more freight trains using that line through Austin itself.
A call or visit to CapMetro offices should get the exact answers you want.
 #1156920  by chrisf

allbread wrote: Given the location of the tracks is there any way for me to track down when the freight trains are scheduled to run?
Keep in mind that whatever the usage of the tracks may be right now is subject to change. If you're concerned about usage, you should look elsewhere for a home.
 #1156959  by Patrick Boylan

allbread, you didn't say if you would find freight trains an attraction or a nuisance :)
I had lived next to single track freight line in the New Jersey Phila suburb, I'm pretty sure there was at least 1 train each night, and I remember waking up only once that I could attribute to train noise. Of course foamer that I am I had to go to the bedroom window to see the train go by.