Railroad Forums 

• How far west did EL go?

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#6898  by ChicagoRailFan

When I was a kid in the mid 70s in the SW burbs of Chicago, I spent a lot of time watching EL trains going NW on what is now CSX lines. The rails themselves were stamped "Lackawana 1966". I'm curious where EL called the end of the line in the west. Was the Belt Railway yard the end? I wish I had brought a camera all those times...

Dave

#6918  by Hoosier Joe

As far as I know EL used the Chicago and West Indiana to get into Chicago.Maybe got on their track around Hammond ? Joe G.

#6929  by JoeG

The rails stamped Lackawanna don't refer to the Lackawanna Railroad. The stamp means that the rails were made at Bethlehem Steel's Lackawanna, NY mill. The mill was in or near Buffalo, and is now defunct.
 #6942  by ChicagoRailFan

Thanks JoeG. It makes sense since I've never any other railroad mark the rails. Should have figured that one out myself....

#8392  by PRRGuy

Hello,
The Erie-Lackawanna entered onto the tracks of the C&WI (Chicago and western Indiana) at State Line Tower on the IN/IL border and took that into Dearborn Station. The only thing the Erie may have owned past there was the Erie freight house in Chicago.

#23762  by Throttle_JCKY

I would have sworn that they owned part of a yard, off the top of my head I can't recall what the name was.
The freight station south of the US in chicago was probably the western most property relating to railroad.
The C&O and EL both had a similar setup in Chicago, as they owned yard/tracks on the south side, but used trackage/running rights to reach them. As stated, they both along with the Monon used the C&WI to reach other areas/roads in Chicago.

#26137  by mxdata

From a standpoint of most freight movement and the locomotive fueling and servicing, the west end of the railroad was 51st Street Yard in Chicago.

#27029  by Cactus Jack

Don't forget that EL delivered to the Belt and also over to Bensonville to the MILW. EL power must have gotten into Cicero (via the Belt) as EL power showed up on the "Q" west of Chicago and ran into Minneapolis.

Didn't they also deliver to BLue Island and connect out with the ROCK ?
I know EL units were sometimes seen on ROCK trains, especially the Spine Line.

...but of course this was not EL track....

#27128  by Idiot Railfan

I wonder how far Phoebe Snow went.

#63602  by trainmastertim

The EL also had a yard in Hammond indiana ..this yard marked the end of the EL trackage before it entered CWI rails at state line tower ..The EL along with the C&O and Monon were all part owners in the CWI thus all three carriers used this route from the IN/ IL line..51st st yard along the CWI in chicago was were locos were serviced also at this location were circus style ramps for loading piggyback trailors.....the yard in Hammond was totally gone by the time conrail was formed...
 #63739  by henry6

Supposedly the DL train went all the way to Chi under EL. However, the Tavern Lounge Obs cars were turned back at Youngstown or Meadville. Plus there was a Buf section cut off at Hornell. To us DL fans, the Phoebe stopped running the day of the merger.

#63762  by pdman

Amen on the Phoebe Snow ending the day of the merger.