• How does DC Metro crash affect MARC, Amtrak?

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by CPSK

Can anyone tell me what effect the DC Metro crash has on MARC, and possibly Amtrak operations in the area?
I have heard that MARC uses the same tracks, but are there any Amtrak trains, or freights for that matter that use it?

Thanks

FW
  by HokieNav

Short version:

They're CSX frieght tracks, used by the MARC Brunswick line and Amtrak's Captiol Limited. The CL made it through both days, the Brunswick Line had no service yesterday but is back in business today.

Long Version:
Read the thread over in the WMATA forum, it's all in there. :)
  by CHIP72

One way the WMATA Red Line accident has affected MARC is they've had additional riders on the Brunswick Line the last two days (6/24 and 6/25), including yours truly. I know a few people besides myself boarded train #892 in Silver Spring in the morning on both days, and a number of people (more on Wednesday) alighted from Silver Spring on train #895 on both days. I intend to use the Brunswick Line again tomorrow (Friday 6/26) in the morning; I'm not sure about the afternoon (I'll either use a DC Circulator bus/Brunswick Line combination or a Green Line/Metrobus Route 79 combination to get home on Friday).
  by realtype

CHIP72 wrote:One way the WMATA Red Line accident has affected MARC is they've had additional riders on the Brunswick Line the last two days (6/24 and 6/25), including yours truly. I know a few people besides myself boarded train #892 in Silver Spring in the morning on both days, and a number of people (more on Wednesday) alighted from Silver Spring on train #895 on both days. I intend to use the Brunswick Line again tomorrow (Friday 6/26) in the morning; I'm not sure about the afternoon (I'll either use a DC Circulator bus/Brunswick Line combination or a Green Line/Metrobus Route 79 combination to get home on Friday).
892 is my usual train :-) . This is so interesting since nobody boards inbound MARC trains at Silver Spring normally since the Metro is more convenient. Trains are actually allowed to leave Silver Spring ahead of schedule (the "L" on the schedule). So at least MARC will be making some extra money with all these Silver Spring residents boarding. Oh and on Friday MARC runs an early train leaving DC at 1:45pm (871). It used to run everyday, but the MTA killed it Mon-Thurs with the recent service cuts.