Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Noel Weaver

Two fantrips scheduled to operate over the Housatonic Railroad on
October 9th and 10th have been cancelled.
Seems that they wanted to use Metro-North equipment but were not able
to obtain the necessary insurance.
Moral of the story, make sure insurance is in place before advertising the
trip.
Truly sorry to see this happen.
Noel Weaver

by JoeG

The trip to Pittsfield would have been great! I've been negotiating with my better half for time to go on it. I hope they can figure out a way to do the trip in the future.
If Metro North were to run a trip from GCT to Pittsfield via Danbury, would MN's insurance cover it? I think I'll send them a note.

by DutchRailnut

If MNCR ran trip it would be a MNCR train with MNCR crew and Housatonic pilot crew. Here they wanted to lease a trainset for one day but no MNCR crew, and HRRC does not have coverage for passengers.
plus private cars were to be added.
Guess all this is not in scope of MNCR's liability policy...

by JoeG

I sent an email to MN's Group Sales dept, which ran the Beacon trip, asking if they would consider running a GCT-Pittsfield excursion. I'll post when they reply.

by Otto Vondrak

Did you ask the Housatonic Railroad how they feel about that? MN has zero authority to operate a train anywhere north of Danbury... The Beacon Line trip went off without a hitch becase it was their train set, their crew, and their railroad. No additional insurance had to be arranged, no trainset rented, no pilot crews paid for. MN most likely cannot and will not operate a trip off their own rails.

-otto-

by Lackawanna484

I'd be surprised, for the reasons Dutch noted above, if MetroNorth would want to lease a trainset for use entirely off its system.

One problem is that the rental of equipment would generate rental income, which would potentially be subject to tax by the Feds. Even if it wasn't, the filing of documentation, etc for UBIT determination would waste lawyer and accountant time. There are ways to get around this problem, but the revenue it produces would hardly be worth the effort...

by JoeG

Well, Otto and Lackawanna, I guess I'll find out. If MN ran a trip I assume they would pay Housatonic for the use of their tracks. As to whether revenue MN got from such a trip would be taxable, I'm not a lawyer. I assume MN has lawyers and accountants and would figure it out.
I don't know if MN has the willingness or ability to run this trip. I figured I'd ask, because the folks who advertised it couldn't put it together.
Otto, you seem to be criticizing me for asking, and I don't get why.

by Otto Vondrak

Not trying to be critical... just pointing out some practical issues you may not have considered. An excursion on the HRRC would be nice, but I think the same issues will come up that cancelled this last round of trips- not enough available equipment, crews, insurance, etc. -otto-

by JoeG

Today I went to the Harmon Shops Open House. The Group Sales dept, who ran the Beacon trip, had a table there. I said to one of the women at the table that I'd sent them an email asking if they could run the Pittsfield trip. She said, "Oh, you're the one who sent that..." I said that I hadn't gotten an answer. She said they were still trying to figure out if they could do it, including whether they would have insurance problems.