Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by ExEMDLOCOTester

When the F40PH-2's were built in or around 1980, one of the tests we conducted was to insure the phase rotation of the hotel services was reversed at the Pyle MU connectors J-Box. This phase rotation was implemented so that AMTRAK could not commandeer Rail transit cars or Locomotives (even tho the commuter HEP units were only in the 600 kw range, and AMTRAK in the 835 kw range).

My question is, have the commuter cars been rewired (simple thing at the J-Box)?

Has anyone seen a METRA train (NO METRA Locomotive) with an AMTRAK F40PH-2 towing it?
  by F40CFan

ExEMDLOCOTester wrote:Has anyone seen a METRA train (NO METRA Locomotive) with an AMTRAK F40PH-2 towing it?
I believe all Amtrak F40PHs were retired in 2003 with the exception of the de-powered F40-Cabbage units.
  by ExEMDLOCOTester

F40CFan wrote:
ExEMDLOCOTester wrote:Has anyone seen a METRA train (NO METRA Locomotive) with an AMTRAK F40PH-2 towing it?
I believe all Amtrak F40PHs were retired in 2003 with the exception of the de-powered F40-Cabbage units.
I have a thread in MBTA about this concerning the HEP. Thanks for the info..

Has anyone seen a METRA train (NO METRA Locomotive) with an AMTRAK F40PH-2 towing it PRIOR to 2003?

by Tadman

somewhere today I saw a pic of a caltrains (san fran commute) F40Ph pulling a train of amtrak horizons. Not sure if this helps you, I think it was on railpictures.net

by Scotty Burkhardt

VRE, INRR, and Nashville RTA all have former Metra coaches/cabs behind former Amtrak F40's

by Tadman

think that's IANR, not INRR - the rock-painted F40?

by ExEMDLOCOTester

Tadman wrote:somewhere today I saw a pic of a caltrains (san fran commute) F40Ph pulling a train of amtrak horizons. Not sure if this helps you, I think it was on railpictures.net
Thanks Tadman, I didn't test the Caltrains so I don't know if the phases were reversed. I am sure about METRA but now that I have time to think about it I am not sure about MTBA! I may need to recant my post!

by ExEMDLOCOTester

Scotty Burkhardt wrote:VRE, INRR, and Nashville RTA all have former Metra coaches/cabs behind former Amtrak F40's
Are the F40's dedicated to the VRE, INRR, and Nashville RTA cars???

by F40CFan

There's a rail news photo in January 2007 Railfan & Railroad of ex-Amtrak F40PHs and former Metra (ex-CNW) Pullman gallery cars on the Music City Star in Nashville.

Two of the F40PHs look like they're painted for the Music City Star while one is still in Amtrak livery. The coaches are not repainted, but have what looks like a star painted on the side.

by Tadman

The F40's that were repainted have been put in scheme that looks just like the ex-Metra scheme on the bilevels and it flows from front to back - kind of like SP daylight scheme did. Since Metra no longer has any bilevels in this scheme, it looks very original.

by ExEMDLOCOTester

From the feedback I see, one of three things have happened:

The AMTRAK F40PH-2 units were wired to accept the former METRA cars

The METRA cars were rewired to accept the non-METRA Locomotives

Trainline MU Hotel Service jumpers were modified and utilized to accept any standard rotating HEP.

by Jtgshu

Sort of off topic, but NJT's diesel locos the GP40's and F40's (and electric locos too) have a switch to convert the HEP over to "Amtrak mode" over from "NJT Mode"

by ExEMDLOCOTester

Jtgshu wrote:Sort of off topic, but NJT's diesel locos the GP40's and F40's (and electric locos too) have a switch to convert the HEP over to "Amtrak mode" over from "NJT Mode"
Interesting.... I did not test any NJT but regional transits in the Late 70's early 80's were paranoid about the idea of AMTRAK commandeering locally purchased equipment. I never understood how switching phases would discourage AMTRAK when all they needed was a jumper / adapter to counter, the counter measure designed by the regionals.

by Tadman

Amtrak and Metra only share one facility, wouldn't it be easier to build a fence or lock the cabs?

by ExEMDLOCOTester

Tadman wrote:Amtrak and Metra only share one facility, wouldn't it be easier to build a fence or lock the cabs?
We're talking about the Government here..... You know the Guys & Gals that always get caught in their own better built mouse traps. :-D