Railroad Forums 

• Horseshoe Curve and 765

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#1072629  by wm1200

After viewing the photos of 765 and train yesterday, it is a national DISGRACE that this site has been allowed to degrade into a approx. 300 yd. view at the "viewing area". I think it is a sign of how disorganized the rail hobby has become. It looked sparsely populated with fans, I don't blame photographers for not bothering with it, since the $20 per head apparently didn't cover any brush-cutting. It seems with the publicity, some effort could have been made by SOMEBODY, d**n the cost!
Perhaps the group currently in charge should just hand it over to the NPS, if this is a national landmark. Could it be any worse?
 #1072980  by Steam man

wm1200 wrote:......Perhaps the group currently in charge should just hand it over to the NPS, if this is a national landmark. Could it be any worse?
Actually yes. NPS would be the last people I would want to see in charge of it. Do a Google for the NPS and their tactics in the Cape Hatteras National Sesshore. You will not like what you see.
 #1162868  by Plate C

Going to try to post here versus starting a new thread and hope for an informative reply. I've been wanting to visit the curve but a quick search turned up more than one post from a disgruntled visitor, want to know if it's worth my time. Anyone who can speak to current conditions? Having never been there I'm wondering if it's photo friendly at this point? I like to get my engine shots, but I'm primarily a boxcar/rolling stock kind of guy- how close can I get for a shot, and if I wanted to kill a few hours will the sun be my friend or will I be shooting into it? Might sound like a strange question but I've been to some railfan areas that were viewing friendly, but not photo friendly. I'm mainly going to see stuff run, it seems like from the comments I've seen that the museum piece there could fairly well be skipped? Any restrictions I should be aware of? About how many trains can I expect per day or hour? If I go on a weekend is one day any better/worse than the the other in terms of what will run? Thanks in advance to anyone who can drop some helpful info here.
 #1189447  by Dick H

Great Sight and Sound Report. Can't ask for anything better than that.
Thanks to "koasterkidd" for all his work putting this video together for
all us railfans to enjoy.
 #1189602  by blockline4180

It is too bad the 765 will never run east of Harrisburg!! Equally, I am surprised NS doesn't have any plans to run public and/or private excursions with it out of NJ over the Lehigh Line into Allentown, (even Reading, Pa), or say up to Scranton!!

Don't get me wrong, 765 rounding Horseshoe curve is great, but its very hard for me to make it out to Central/ Western, Pa this time of year! :-(
 #1189606  by SecaucusJunction

As it turns out, NS forgot that NJ existed a few years back...
 #1223979  by Missyg24

its a disgrace indeed that HSC would charge that darn much for a crappy view of the train. my now bf then friend was at the outside area of hsc the day after i seen nkp in gallitzin the sunday of memorial day. it was sad to see all the people who paid lot of a bad spot. money is tight for everyone and this was to bring some economic growth for the area. HSC is a joke now with the museum involved.