Railroad Forums 

• Hoboken Pier 10

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#125732  by Cactus Jack

I understand Pier 10 was a track side pier used for unloading freighters. but how long was this in service with tracks on the pier ?

Did it last into diesel years ?

...on another note, are there any color photos of the ferry boats in white, rather than the "ill-inspired" William H. White brown ?

#126105  by elhts1

Pier 10 lasted into early Conrail. Was it "active"? It probably saw little activity from the late 1950's on. It was built in 1929 and the ships it served where relatively small such as coastal freighters and the like. So theoretically it was in service up until the end of the EL, but how much was it used? I'll bet it was used more for car storage than anything by that time.

Pier 10 definitely lasted into the "diesel years". Keep in mind the Jersey City yard was dieselized early on, mid 1930's. That was where the tri-power 3501 and 3502 worked in transfer service as well the Alco HH-600/660s were initially assigned (the GE center cabs worked the passenger station and express building) before being bumped to other assignments when post war switchers began arriving. Some HH's stayed, some went off to other assignments across the system.

As for the ferries, I think there might have been at least one picture in one of the Morning Sun books. It may not have been one of the Lackawanna books though. I don't recall for certain. There is a painting in Tabor 20th Century Vol. 2.

Will Shultz
 #126141  by henry6

Also you might find pic, though I believe they were all b&w, in Ted Scull's book about Hoboken Terminal. But the only real "color" shot of a DL ferry I can remember is the post card of the "BINGHAMTON" after it became a restaurant.