Railroad Forums 

• HO6 on the Corning Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1287181  by poppyl

Caught HO-6 northbound just north of Kashong at about 10:30 PM last night. Motive power was two wide cabs. Looked to be around 30 cars in the consist.

Poppyl
 #1287301  by bwparker1

poppyl wrote:Caught HO-6 northbound just north of Kashong at about 10:30 PM last night. Motive power was two wide cabs. Looked to be around 30 cars in the consist.

Poppyl
Slightly off topic but do you know the history behind the name Kashong Switch Road?
 #1287307  by poppyl

bwparker1 wrote:
poppyl wrote:Caught HO-6 northbound just north of Kashong at about 10:30 PM last night. Motive power was two wide cabs. Looked to be around 30 cars in the consist.

Poppyl
Slightly off topic but do you know the history behind the name Kashong Switch Road?
Not off hand, but I will consult my Yates County history book later today to see if I can find a definitive answer. Somewhere I have a track map for the Fallbrook RR that may also help answer your question.

Poppyl
 #1287436  by poppyl

Yates County history book did not offer much information on Kashong Switch Road but I did learn that it parallels Kashong Creek, extends from current Rte. 14-A to Route 14 (and about 100 yards past Rte. 14 on to Kashong Point. Looking at the Fallbrook map, I see not indication of any siding in the area of Kashong but that does not rule out the existence of a crossover at some point in time. Another aspect to consider is that the road also crossed the Northern Central (PRR) just outside of Bellona. If "switch" refers to something of a railroad nature, perhaps it relates to the Northern Central. I have never been on this road but the name could describe, perhaps, a characteristic of the road that happens to run from the Bellona area down to Kashong Point.

Wish that I could give you a better answer but I think that will take someone who actually lives in that area. In the meantime, I'll keep my eyes open for any additional information.

Poppyl
 #1287505  by bwparker1

poppyl wrote:Yates County history book did not offer much information on Kashong Switch Road but I did learn that it parallels Kashong Creek, extends from current Rte. 14-A to Route 14 (and about 100 yards past Rte. 14 on to Kashong Point. Looking at the Fallbrook map, I see not indication of any siding in the area of Kashong but that does not rule out the existence of a crossover at some point in time. Another aspect to consider is that the road also crossed the Northern Central (PRR) just outside of Bellona. If "switch" refers to something of a railroad nature, perhaps it relates to the Northern Central. I have never been on this road but the name could describe, perhaps, a characteristic of the road that happens to run from the Bellona area down to Kashong Point.

Wish that I could give you a better answer but I think that will take someone who actually lives in that area. In the meantime, I'll keep my eyes open for any additional information.

Poppyl
Thank you. Back in the day I explored Kashong Creek on a weekend in between sessions at Camp Cory while I was a staff member.

Of note, almost 10 years ago I was in Penn Yan following the FGLK local and the Engineer gave my friend and I a short cab ride. He noted that the old crossbuck warning signs still had marbles as the letters for reflectivity. Today those signs are long gone...
 #1287512  by BR&P

bwparker1 wrote:Of note, almost 10 years ago I was in Penn Yan following the FGLK local and the Engineer gave my friend and I a short cab ride. He noted that the old crossbuck warning signs still had marbles as the letters for reflectivity. Today those signs are long gone...
Did you have any trouble with rusted bolts, or did they come off fairly easily? :wink:
 #1287531  by bwparker1

BR&P wrote:
bwparker1 wrote:Of note, almost 10 years ago I was in Penn Yan following the FGLK local and the Engineer gave my friend and I a short cab ride. He noted that the old crossbuck warning signs still had marbles as the letters for reflectivity. Today those signs are long gone...
Did you have any trouble with rusted bolts, or did they come off fairly easily? :wink:
That's not me at all, but somewhere I think I might have a photo. I have always found that PRR line fascinating... From Williamsport to Sodus.
 #1293367  by poppyl

The situation regarding Dundee Foods has gone eerily quiet in the last month -- not sure that the deal is still on.

Regarding Greenridge Station in Dresden the plan was to re-light the boilers for warm stand-by sometime in October or November. As far as I know, that's still the plan. Unclear to me as to how much and how often coal will be needed at Greenridge under this scenario, however.

What's interesting is the potential schedule tie-in this will have with HO-6. When the Greenridge last operated, HO-6 and the Greenridge coal drags usually ran about the same time but on alternating nights. Occasionally they would run the same night with HO-6 going north early and the coal drag about an hour later. Southbound normally would see the coal drag hold on the Dresden siding for HO-6 to pass and then follow but depending on HO-6's work in Geneva, the coal drag could lead southbound.

Unfortunately, when they both ran on the same night, the probability that the second crew would outlaw (usually just north of Dundee) before returning to Gang Mills increased, thus the desire to go the alternating night route.

Now that HO-6 is running six nights a week, the addition of some coal traffic to Dresden may require some different "schedule" windows -- maybe coal goes to Greenridge in the daylight on the days when FGLK is not running between Geneva and Himrod.

Something to watch for in the near future.

Poppyl
 #1293408  by lvrr325

Standby might not require much coal at all. But it's harder to bring it in, unload it, etc. when it's cold out. Will be interesting to see how that shakes out.
 #1293427  by BR&P

lvrr325 wrote:Standby might not require much coal at all. But it's harder to bring it in, unload it, etc. when it's cold out. Will be interesting to see how that shakes out.
I see what you did there! :-D :-D :wink:
 #1293516  by poppyl

lvrr325 wrote:Standby might not require much coal at all. But it's harder to bring it in, unload it, etc. when it's cold out. Will be interesting to see how that shakes out.
You are absolutely correct on that. Right now there is no coal on site.

The plan is to maintain the boilers in a configuration that would allow the station to reach full operation within hours of a "go" directive and then operate at that level for some period of time. Seems to me that would require a fairly large reserve of coal on site to run until shipments could be received (and I do not know what those leadtimes would be). Back in the old days during peak heating season, the station would go through 80 plus carloads every two days to give you some idea of coal usage.

Another option for supplying the station that occurred to me after my last post is that the station used to have a trackmobile for moving hoppers on to and off the dumper. Maybe HO-6 could drop some number of hoppers on the Dresden siding on its almost daily run to Geneva and the trackmobile could pull them into the station. Don't know if work rules would permit this, however. And I'm not sure that HO-6 could switch the siding twice each trip, do its other work in Geneva and get back to Gang Mills within its allowable time window.

Poppyl
 #1293517  by BR&P

Since you are talking about a Trackmobile, I presume the loco is no longer there. Any idea where it went, or was it scrapped? (it was an LV survivor, by the way)
 #1293550  by poppyl

Actually, I'm not sure what is still left on site as the previous owners may have removed any operational equipment. To the best of my knowledge, the switcher went OOS a couple of years before the station went cold and a trackmobile was brought in to replace it. When I get a chance I'll take a look at the site with Bing and see if the switcher is still there.

Poppyl