Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Otto Vondrak

This is interesting... new kit available from Branchline Trains!

http://www.branchline-trains.com/newrel ... ondale.htm

Compare to the real thing...

-otto-
Last edited by Otto Vondrak on Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by metroduff

Interestingly, I was in Great Barrington MA over the weekend -- much further up the same line, and stopped by the town of Housatonic, where the depot is virtually identical to this one. I wonder if anyone knows whether this was a standard Housatonic/Danbury & Northern design or a NH design as Branchline claims?
  by Tom Curtin

Those stations, generally, were built before the New Haven took over the Danbury & Norwalk & Housatonic Railroads, so if they are a standard design, it was the "standard" of a predecessor company, not of the New Haven.

Until you raised the question I had never thought of their being a standard design, but now that the question is out, I agree there are multiple similar-appearing stations --- and all still standing today! --- on those lines. There's Cannondale, and New Milford, and Cornwall Bridge, CT (the latter substantially altered by a private owner but clearly recognizable), and Sheffield (moved from its original location) and Housatonic, Mass.

by the missing link

being of cannondale since 77,i had to have this.i made a few modifications and additions.first,the roof supports have to be moved to the ends of the corners.i did the rafters underside,as well as the diamonds on the eave/soffit?i realize including this would have driven up the price,but it's allways had them.substituted chimeny w/ precision scale part.my station name boards are actually cut from photo taken across the street by gate instrument box.a 4x5 print is perfect ho scale.oh yeah,also substituted roof with peel &stick random width dk grey shakes from B.E.S.T.i'll try to put some pic's up in the future if anyone's interested.coming soon........georgetown
  by Tom Curtin

Does "Coming soon . . . Georgetown" mean you're going to build your own model of that (long gone) station, or that some manufacturer is going to produce one? I'm curious.

By the way, while we're on the subject of Danbury branch stations, it long ago occurred to me that a respectable starting point for kitbashing Branchville would be the Atlas plastic station kit that has been on the market for many years. I think they actually make it in 3 scales --- HO and N for sure, and possibly O also.

by Dieter

Wood or styrene?

What is the difficulty level of this kit?

Dieter./

by Otto Vondrak

The Cannondale kit is a wood craftsman kit, I would judge the difficulty as "medium" and probably will require a few dedicated evenings to assemble.

-otto-

by the missing link

georgetown i'm doing for myself as a corner module w/some of the wiremill done with westport modelworks relief prints.but if it goes easy enough,i'll make templates for the material and a list of parts to get for anyone interested.don't hold your breath,a few months or so maybee by next falls nhrths gathering.someone had a model of new milford there that was just beautiful.
  by the missing link

metroduff wrote:Interestingly, I was in Great Barrington MA over the weekend -- much further up the same line, and stopped by the town of Housatonic, where the depot is virtually identical to this one. I wonder if anyone knows whether this was a standard Housatonic/Danbury & Northern design or a NH design as Branchline claims?
housatonic has the cast iron eave brackets similar to the ones at canaan and the freight house(torn down)in danbury.