Railroad Forums 

• HO centerbeams

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1388793  by rr503

Does anyone still make centerbeams for HO scale? I saw that Atlas and Walthers discontinued their ones.
 #1388795  by Backshophoss

Athearn,via the Roundhouse brand,might do a run of the former MDC Centerbeam Flats.
 #1388901  by rr503

Thanks!!
I'll take a look at both
PS are any of you having trouble w/ the exactrail website?
 #1388906  by Backshophoss

No trouble opening that page,they did a price cut,and are claiming "Low stock".
E(vil)-Bay might give you "Heartburn" price wise,the "speculators" are at work!
 #1388929  by talltim

Backshophoss wrote:No trouble opening that page,they did a price cut,and are claiming "Low stock".
E(vil)-Bay might give you "Heartburn" price wise,the "speculators" are at work!
Yes, I'd not really looked at the prices but they do seem generally excessive.
 #1389454  by riogrande

If dates matter, that may narrow things down a bit.

The Exactrail / Front Range/ McKean 63' Centerbeam was first produced in 1977.

https://exactrail.com/collections/thral ... m-flat-car" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Walthers 73' Centerbeams were first produced in 1987

https://www.walthers.com/search/mode/li ... Centerbeam" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Atlas Center partition (Centerbeam)

http://www.atlasrr.com/HOFreight/ho73ce ... ition1.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Since I lean toward the 1970's and early 1980's, I prefer the 63' Centerbeams and added the very nice ExactRail cars (BN, UP, MILW & WP) to my roster. Only MILW & WP are left in stock but worth getting and very nice. I don't know if ER will ever produce them again.

Probably the most economical of the lot are the Walthers - which can be had for as little as $20 if you hunt around - but more go in the $30 and higher range.

The Atlas and ExactRail are pricier - but more detailed. Again, shopping around can help minimize cost. Ebay has some nutty prices that should not be rewarded just because items are harder to find, people ask 2x the MRSP. Be patient and watch for the better deals, visit train shows etc.

If you are on a budget, Front Range & McKean kits can be had for cheap; the trade off is they are a bit of a challenge to build - you'll have to do some filing and work on the parts to get them to fit well, but results can be a decent model. I have a Front Range WP car I built from a kit but have replaced it with the ExactRail version - the body is assembled but some parts need to be glued on as well as decals applied. It came painted dark blue but in reality the cars were black so I airbrushed mine black.
 #1389485  by rr503

Thank you all!
I'm going to hunt around on eBay and see what I can find. Also, atlas seems to be restarting production of their cars; their site has them on backorder. Anyone know more about this?