Railroad Forums 

• Hmm....those STILLWELL toilets !

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#67573  by Tri-State Tom

I just realized that we've been unintentionally leaving out the Erie fans on this topic.

Can't say I ever 'experienced' a Stillwell lavatory in transit so....let's try and get some feedback !

One caveat....I believe there were 3-4 different versions of the venerable Stillwells right up until the NJDOT started taking delivery of the Comet I's and U34CH's. AIR, there were some equipped with a/c and others not, some semi-commuter and some full commuter.

I'm sure there probably were some variations in the toilet facilities per type car....

#72170  by JDFX

OH NO!..... HAHAHA'

Tom, you starting trouble again????

Next thing it will be "Those Locomotive Toilets" for train crews... LOL....

#72552  by Tri-State Tom

Well, inquiring minds want to know Doug !

While I can't recall ever having to use the facilities on a Stillwell, I do recall that they rode the rails well for cushier comfort than either a powerd or trailor DL&W MU. But those that were non-A/C were for some reason alot hotter in the summer than the non-A/C MU's. The wicker seats of the MU's were slightly cooler than the sticky vynal covered Stillwell seats.

#72702  by jebradley

Am no expert on Stilwells but I do recall a railfan trip or two and noted that the toilet room was quite large and spacious; I believe they used a full two-window space at the car end. These were the cars equipped with high back but non-reclining seats, probably for Jersey City-Binghamton and similar services. I believe there was a lot of room near car ends as these were designed to hold MU equipment for eventual electrification which of course never came to pass. The strictly commuter Stilwells no doubt had more seats and smaller toilet rooms.
James E. Bradley Hawk Mountain Chapter N.R.H.S.
 #98596  by fordhamroad

Aside from the privies...

How did Stillwell coaches compare to other types used by the Erie? They lasted a very long time in service. Were they very well built? Was maintenance easier or harder to do? How did the steel etc. stand up to corrosion. How did they compare for comfortable riding? Did the windows stick? Anybody ever ride or repair them?

Roger