Railroad Forums 

• Heritage unit at EWR

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1268525  by BigDell

Finally spotted a heritage unit yesterday. 6pm just north of Ikea alongside the NJTurnpike. The New York Central unit - resplendent in sunlight - leading BNSF 6696 and a CSX unit pulling a long train. First time I'd spotted one and it was a beauty. Makes you think "if only"... Wanted to circle back and take pics but it wasn't really practical at rush hour. Anyone else catch it?
 #1268527  by mainetrain

Yes, this is the 3rd day (i've seen it) creeping around b/w Seawaren and the Airport. My first Heritage unit as well. :wink:
 #1272817  by BigDell

Driving home from NYC Friday around 6-ish there was the Virginian unit in the same spot! Again I was tempted to get off at exit 13A and backtrack, but.... (holiday weekend).
I gotta say - these units are quite striking in real life. I'm not a fan of Virginian, but seeing it painted in that scheme was pretty special.
 #1322149  by BigDell

....and then one afternoon last week exiting the NJT at Carteret I happen to drive around the jughandle to loop back over and there is the LV heritage unit parked down under the bridge! I hadn't seen a "Lehigh Valley" unit "for reals" in more years than I can say. Of course, my schedule and timing didn't allow me to run back and take photos - but WOW I wish I could have. Have not seen as many of these units as I'd like to, but anyone know how often they make their way up? I'm guessing it's random and I'm going to simply have to invest some time railfanning the Chemical Coast looking for them along the New Jersey Turnpike....
 #1322391  by bluedash2

The CNJ unit is coming back in the near future on NS 874 for Carney's Pt, trailing this time elephant style. The current train has been emptied and will either run tonight or tomorrow night.