Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#194918  by doepack

To my knowledge, the shortest train Metra runs in revenue service is a three-car set on HC, and as of a few months ago, I believe it was assigned to train 21, the final run of the day out of CUS, departing at 1812. Just out of curiousity, does anyone know which of the morning runs from Joliet this set is assigned to? TIA...

#194962  by metraRI

The 3 car set runs train #14 in the morning, followed by a 5 car (#16? & #19) and 6 car (#18? & #17) set.

#195096  by MetraBNSF

The 3-car set has also carried an "M" for power on occasion. I've seen 185 and 194 run this train in the past.

#195120  by doepack

Six cars on HC? Wouldn't have guessed that many, but the last time I rode this line during late summer 2004, a pretty good crowd got off at Joliet. With a slightly quicker trip downtown than the Rock, it's pretty easy to see why this route is popular with Joliet commuters, especially among those that work or go to school west of LaSalle St. downtown.

Never have been lucky enough to see an "M" on a HC run, but then, they'd just blend in with the Rock's equipment once in Joliet anyway...

#195139  by MetraBNSF

In the past, although I haven't seen it happen but it was reported here that if a loco from BNSF needed to go to the rocket house, it'd be double headed in the lead on a HC train then pulled off at Joliet and attached to an RI train. The RI train would make a trip to LaSalle St, then deadhead to 47th St. where the loco is dropped off.

#195623  by doepack

MetraBNSF wrote:In the past, although I haven't seen it happen but it was reported here that if a loco from BNSF needed to go to the rocket house, it'd be double headed in the lead on a HC train then pulled off at Joliet and attached to an RI train. The RI train would make a trip to LaSalle St, then deadhead to 47th St. where the loco is dropped off.
From the 14th St and Western Ave servicing facilities, the rocket house can also be accessed by traveling south on SWS trackage to a junction with Norfolk Southern at CP518, in the vicinity of Pershing Road. It would head onto a wye, then proceed in reverse (east) along NS to Metra's RI district, backing onto it at Root St. interlocking, before proceeding forward to 47th St. This routing is probably used more often for the equipment based at Western Ave, and there are north and south wyes at both Root St. and CP518 to ensure the locomotives are facing the proper direction upon their return...

#195690  by Scotty Burkhardt

I know that 119 has gone down HC and come back on the Rock Island. Last spring. I only know this because I rode the HC behind 106 and 115. The next morning, I got on the Rock and I saw 206 behind 119 at Lasalle Street.

#195714  by AmtrakFan

I wonder why if it's so popular with commuters why they don't add another HC Train.