Railroad Forums 

• Help Save Leiters Station!

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#1032286  by Roadgeek Adam

For the last couple months, I have been in talk with the head of the Fulton County 4-H Model Railroad Club, based out of Rochester, Indiana. In 2010, they took over ownership of the former Chicago & Erie station at Leiters Ford, Indiana. Constructed in 1880 (passenger service began in 1883) and one of four Erie stations remaining in the state of Indiana, it is truly one of the last treasures of the Chicago and Erie through the state. However, they are still short money, and as a result are still looking for more. The owner wants the station off his property so he can expand his barn. The plan is to move the station depot 14 miles east to Rochester.

Right now, payment is by check or cash to the Fulton County 4-H Model Railroad Club, which means please send your donations to the club at:
Fulton County 4-H Model Railroad Club
10253 West 600 North
Rochester, IN 46975
**A Paypal site will be setup soon for donations, but for right now, this is the best we have.

These donations would be highly appreciated. I will be sending mine soon, but for now, I am doing some behind the scenes work on other things related to the station. Considering there's only 4 Erie stations left in Indiana (Monterey, Rochester and Akron being the other 3), we don't want to lose anymore of them! I've been trying to get friends to help, plus get some other outreaches done. So I hope you can help donate to save the station at Leiters Ford, to preserve what's left of Indiana's Erie heritage.
Last edited by Roadgeek Adam on Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1032327  by Jeff Smith

Just an FYI, Adam ran this post by me before posting.

Railroad.net and I make no representation about any such endeavours on here. I.e. this topic does not constitute an endorsement by me, railroad.net, or the owners of railroad.net.

Questions concerning the usage of funds or project details can be posted here or sent to the relevant person.
 #1063527  by Roadgeek Adam

Well two things.

One) I have the total estimate on the 4-H Club on the cost to move the depot.....$30,000 for moving, landscaping and repairs to the 1880 depot.

Two) A Paypal Account has been setup at https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/websc ... 0db9e9c846

We really, really need your help now!
 #1102585  by Roadgeek Adam

I guess I have to be the bearer of unfortunate news.

I and the Fulton County 4-H Club have run out of time on the deadline. They couldn't make the money to save Leiters station and all signs point to demolition.

If anyone has any last-minute ideas, I am all ears.

I'm just really disappointed we couldn't raise the $16,000 needed to move the depot, which will only bring us down to 4 standing C&E stations in Indiana.
 #1105104  by Roadgeek Adam

Yeah well, it stinks. I wish there was something we could do, but I guess it's the way life is when no one gives a damn.

Rochester, Monterey, Akron and Kingsland will all that remain. Monterey has restoration plans, Kingsland is now in another county, Rochester and Akron are savable but need some TLC.
 #1105192  by charlie6017

Adam, have you done fund-raisers, maybe door-prizes or other similar things in the area? May sound redundant
and maybe you guys have even done that, but just thought of those off the top of my head. Just trying to spark ideas
for ya.

Charlie
 #1105263  by Roadgeek Adam

charlie6017 wrote:Adam, have you done fund-raisers, maybe door-prizes or other similar things in the area? May sound redundant
and maybe you guys have even done that, but just thought of those off the top of my head. Just trying to spark ideas
for ya.

Charlie
Keep in mind I live in New Jersey. I offered to get local money, almost had a deal to get the $16,000 donated too, tacked on to do local work and do what I can. Those guys have tried for the last three years.
 #1105286  by charlie6017

Okay, sorry I forgot you're not in the immediate area of the station.......I'm sure everyone did their best. :-)
 #1195732  by Roadgeek Adam

Alright I have news. (some good, some bad)

Leiters depot was disassembled by Amish workers between May 24 and June 8. The depot was moved to Delphi, Indiana and will be rebuilt when they get the money in the Wabash and Erie Canal Park.

At least it will be saved, but help get money for it! :)
 #1202088  by Roadgeek Adam

Well, I made it out to that part of Indiana from Jersey...to see the plot of nothingness in Leiters Ford that I described.