Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by Tadman

So I just bought some old B&W 8x10 pics, and some of them show subway or L cars similar to below, but they aren't the same.

http://www.chicago-l.org/trains/gallery ... ERR842.jpg

I need help identifying what I'm looking at - first, it could be Chicago, Boston, Philly, or NYC - likely the only cities operating a subway/L in the 20's. The road number is 279 and 370. They are similar to the linked photo in the overall looks, including the abrubt clerestory. However, they appear to be either steel or steel-sheathed wood. Further, there is a center door, a handbrake wheel on fireman's side, and the fish-belly frame is not I-beam shaped, but rather flush with the car side. Also, it appears to have transit-couplers and only one powered truck. Finally, the wheels are solid, as opposed to the spoked look on the Met car in the linked picture. When I get access to a scanner I will post my new found vintage pics. Until then, I appreciate any feedback available.

PS - no reporting marks or color variations of any sort noted - just a solid black or olive drab (can't tell as photo is b&w)

edit: I didn't make it all that clear, these pics appear to be from about 1925-1930.
Last edited by Tadman on Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by MikeF

Tadman wrote:PS - no reporting marks or color variations of any sort noted - just a solid black or olive drab (can't tell as photo is b&w)
The funny thing about old black-and-white pictures is that due to the type of film that was used back then, traction orange turned out dark gray or black as well (see old South Shore pictures), so they could have been that color too.

Unfortunately I can't help identify them.

by Tadman

After messing around on the web for a few hours, it's become clear these are Boston Orange Line, #'s 0279 and 0370, made by Pressed Steel Car, possibly in Chicago (right by CSS hegewisch).