Railroad Forums 

• HEADS UP: Heritage Units on CSX

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1294716  by ScotCP356

Alright gentlemen! Let's get back to focusing on the UP 1996! As of 5 this morning, the train went north of Marion to Fostoria, where there it will head east to Willard for the next crew change. I believe it would be there around 8 or 9 this morning. This look like yet another night run with UP heritage but it's too early to know. Anything can happen!

-Scott
 #1294729  by BR&P

lvrr325 wrote:CSX's current paint scheme is basically 1964-1972 or so B&O/C&O/CNJ blue and yellow, just with yellow ends for greater visibility. .
Agreed. I was picturing the blue, gray, and black and gold band. And the C&O scheme from their F units would look sharp, Occasionally we'd get one of those on early Kodak unit coal trains.
 #1294732  by ScotCP356

Q372-23 passed Attica Ohio at 9:07 am with UP 1996 heritage on the point. Heading to Willard Ohio.

-Scott
 #1294886  by sd80mac

BR&P wrote:Hey Scott, you should start writing letters and petitions to CSX for them to join the Heritage movement! Imagine a Baltimore & Ohio, or an Atlantic Coast Line, or a Chessie System. Heck, why stop there, let's try for Northern Pacific, Chicago Burlington & Quincy, Gulf Mobile & Ohio, Milwaukee Road......we could probably come up with another 20 or 30 candidates! :-D :wink:
YEAH! ERIE LACKAWANNA's one of them!! NS neglected it... dont give me excuse about already having Erie and DLW.... they did already have PRR and NYC.. yet they have PC.. what's difference? PC is embarrassment... EL is the PRIDE! :P :P

LOL

BTW.... SP had ran through Rochester by 8 am today as I was told...
 #1294894  by scottychaos

sd80mac wrote:
YEAH! ERIE LACKAWANNA's one of them!! NS neglected it... dont give me excuse about already having Erie and DLW.... they did already have PRR and NYC.. yet they have PC.. what's difference? PC is embarrassment... EL is the PRIDE! :P :P
yes, but..NYC, PRR and PC are three uniquely different paintschemes,
while an NS EL heritage unit would essentially be the same as the DL&W scheme, so there was no need to repeat the scheme.
I suppose they could have done the EL freight scheme..but that isnt radically different either.
So I dont mind the lack of an NS EL heritage unit..the DL&W heritage unit stands in for both the DL&W and the EL in my opinion..

What EL tracks is CSX using today? (im not very familiar with surviving EL tracks west of NY state)

Scot
 #1294956  by Railroaded

I don't think the PC loco is an embarrassment. I like it & I'd love to see it myself. It's their history.

As far as EL around Buffalo, not much, NS got most of it, unless you want to include former Buffalo Creek trackage since the Erie owned half of it, but I'm not sure if that arrangement with the LV even lasted until ConRail anyway...
 #1294962  by charlie6017

scottychaos wrote:
What EL tracks is CSX using today? (im not very familiar with surviving EL tracks west of NY state)

Scot
CSX uses the line between Galion and Marion, Ohio.....but that was a joint EL-NYC-PC corridor.

That's really all I can think of off the top of my head.

Charlie
 #1294986  by Matt Langworthy

scottychaos wrote:What EL tracks is CSX using today? (im not very familiar with surviving EL tracks west of NY state)

Scot
CSX owns an Erie/EL branchline in Tonawanda, as well as a DL&W/EL branchline from Geddes to Fulton in NY. I've also read that CSX operates a former Erie/EL branch in NJ, although I'm not sure they own it.
 #1294989  by Matt Langworthy

Railroaded wrote:As far as EL around Buffalo, not much, NS got most of it, unless you want to include former Buffalo Creek trackage since the Erie owned half of it, but I'm not sure if that arrangement with the LV even lasted until ConRail anyway...
The BCK was jointly owned by EL and LV until 1977, when CR bought it from the EL and PC/LV estates.
 #1295003  by mackdave

They operate what it left of the Erie's Northern Branch, from Jersey City to the NY border. The piece from Jersey City to North Bergen is now part of the River Line to Albany. North of North Bergen has less service. I think there is a daily local to Englewood, maybe once a month north of that. North of North Bergen is owned by NJ DOT (I think).

Dave Mackay
Modeling the River Division
MP12-14
 #1295097  by ScotCP356

E958-26 to have UP 1996 (Southern Pacific Heritage), from Buffalo NY (Kenmore), It will lead to Chicago Illinois (UP). Then will head to Wyoming (River Basin).

& BR&P I didn't catch cause I was at the firehouse.

-Scott
 #1295122  by BR&P

ScotCP356 wrote:& BR&P I didn't catch cause I was at the firehouse. -Scott
Scott, Scott, Scott.....what are we going to DO with you?????? All these various units approach after much anticipation by you, only to roll through at night. Now, FINALLY, you get a heritage unit leading, perfect time of day, great weather, and you didn't see it. You should have had someone call in a grass fire by the tracks about 10 minutes before it was due, or something. Now who knows how long it will be before you get another chance?

And since I'm such a nice guy, I won't tell you about the BEAUTIFUL pic of it that C2629 got down near Lyons. That would be rubbing it in, and I never do stuff like that! :wink: (Maybe he'll post it on here anyway)
 #1295182  by sd80mac

BR&P wrote:
ScotCP356 wrote:& BR&P I didn't catch cause I was at the firehouse. -Scott
Scott, Scott, Scott.....what are we going to DO with you?????? All these various units approach after much anticipation by you, only to roll through at night. Now, FINALLY, you get a heritage unit leading, perfect time of day, great weather, and you didn't see it.

I think that he has to go back to old school days.. get rid of his phone, computer, gps.. etc. And he need to go back to the pen and paper method for calender and mailing. Apparently RR god somehow know his schedule that he felt it was safe to send that through Rochester daylight!