Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#333058  by roee

I'd be cool to see pictures of that bridge raised. Being that I live 3000 miles away, I don't think I'll be able to get any.
 #694688  by ajp

did Metro North ever get the waiver from the Coast Guard to make that span a fixed bridge?
 #694697  by DutchRailnut

no its to remain a movable object
 #695462  by L'mont

ajp wrote:did Metro North ever get the waiver from the Coast Guard to make that span a fixed bridge?

Negetive. That bridge, along with all the other Harlem River crossings have to (and do) open frequently.
 #696096  by ajp

so why dod the MTA apply for the waver a few years ago? Did they expect river traffic to go away?
I understood they were trying to avoid capital rebuild and maintenance costs.
 #696129  by shadyjay

Does the bridge have a lot of daytime/peak hour openings? How long does it take to lift/close? Does it throw the schedules into a tailspin when it happens?
 #696169  by shlustig

I don't know how it is today, but I can recall one occasion many years ago when we had to open the bridge at about 4:45PM for the fireboat. The fireboat was delayed en route and by the time it had passed and the bridge was closed we had outbound trains on all 3 outbound tracks (#'s 1, 3, and 4) backed up across the Viaduct and through the Tunnel back to Tower U. Inbounds had to be held at DB and MO and then fed to GCT on Tk. 2 from the Hudson and Harlem sides. The rest of the evening rush was a real mess due to delayed equipment and crew turns.
 #696194  by MNCRR9000

Is the Harlem River drawbridge controlled remotely from the operations center or is there a bridge attendant stationed there?
 #696291  by Erie-Lackawanna

The bridge opens rarely, but it does open. Recently, the Coast Guard published a proposed Federal Rule that would eliminate the Peak period curfews on Harlem River navigation traffic, thus subjecting MNR (and the TA, and the NYCDOT street crossings) to bridge openings at the height of the AM or PM Peaks. All affected parties submitted written objections, and I don't know if the issue has been finally resolved. However, it can be said with some certainty that MNR isn't currently applying for a waiver to allow the bridge to become a fixed bridge, and if we did, said application would surely be denied.

Jim
 #698366  by MNRR_RTC

MNCRR9000 wrote:Is the Harlem River drawbridge controlled remotely from the operations center or is there a bridge attendant stationed there?
We unlock the bridge from the control center, then the bridge tender on site would open the bridge. Since I have been there, tha bridge has open maybe 4 or 5 times.
 #698377  by Otto Vondrak

THE NEW LIFT BRIDGE: Between 1954 and 1956, the [New York Central] constructed the third railroad bridge over the Harlem River. The new bridge, which actually consists of two parallel double-track lift spans measuring 340 feet in length, carries four tracks over the Harlem River. Constructed just south of the existing swing bridge, it provides 25 feet of clearance in the closed position, and 135 feet in the open position.
For more info: http://www.nycroads.com/crossings/park-avenue/

I sent a note to the webmaster asking him to change "New Haven" to "New York Central."
 #715351  by enwhycentral

Does anyone know when the present day Harlem River lift bridge, which was built in the mid 1950's, was painted blue for the first time? An early photo I've seen shows the bridge and Park Avenue Viaduct both painted silver. I'd also be interested in knowing the diameter of the 128 lift cables and what the sheaves mounted halfway up on the inside of vertical tower supports are used for and what the machinery between the cables on the walkway near the top of the tower is . Is there any detailed diagram of any of the components of this bridge available as I am currently constructing a freelanced version in N scale.
Attachments:
(66.3 KiB) Downloaded 1193 times