Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#786735  by Dick H

I would urge Mr. Vondrak to review the original post in this thread
from him. He states that he saw the item in the April issue of
Railfan and Railroad. Then in his March 22nd post, he takes a
swipe at another railroad publication, which according to it's
website has not even mailed its April issue yet, so I don't know
how he knows whether the GM Flyer item is in there or not.
 #787030  by MikeVT

I'm planning a visit for my folks this summer and wanted to plan a train ride. I talked to Green Mountain today. They said this summer will be Fridays at 11:00 only.

Not retired but cut back.
 #787639  by Otto Vondrak

Dick H wrote:I would urge Mr. Vondrak to review the original post in this thread from him. He states that he saw the item in the April issue of Railfan and Railroad. Then in his March 22nd post, he takes a swipe at another railroad publication, which according to it's website has not even mailed its April issue yet, so I don't know how he knows whether the GM Flyer item is in there or not.
You can't urge Mr. Vondrak to do anything, he's been dead for 10 years now. But his son Otto does occasionally make mistakes! You're right, I read the original item in the April edition of Railfan & Railroad. Sorry, I read a bunch of things from everywhere, and I forgot for a moment what was what. As for the "swipe," even Mr. Nemeth refers to his own magazine as "Rumorpace" once in a while. Hey, I'll make a deal with you, we can come up with a funny nickname for R&R together, okay? I'll ask Steve where the bit on the Green Mountain Flyer came from.

-otto-
 #787665  by shadyjay

I believe it was last year when the Green Mountain Flyer first reduced their schedule to concentrate efforts on the White River Flyer. So in reality, nothing has changed since last year on the GMF (except moving the gift shop to White River Jct)... but the Champlain Valley Flyer out of Burlington has been scaled back considerably with nothing but special event trains offered.
 #787785  by Otto Vondrak

R&R April 2010, page 20:

"VERMONT RAIL SYSTEM: GREEN MOUNTAIN FLYER QUITS: The Vermont Rail System has discontinued its Green Mountain Flyer, which has run over former Rutland rails between Bellows Falls and Rutland, Vermont, since 1985... VRS will continue to run the White Mountain Flyer over former Canadian Pacific trackage between White River Jct. and St. Johnsbury in lieu of the Bellows Falls route..."
 #805788  by Otto Vondrak

p42thedowneaster wrote:Can we clearly state that R&R was incorrect in their printing? The Green Mountain Flyer was NOT retired.

The updated web site for the GMF states that the train will run for group and individual travel this season on Fridays.
http://www.rails-vt.com/gmf/gmf_main_09.html
I'm pretty sure we did... and I asked Steve Barry where the news bit came from, and he told me the name of his source, a reputable one at that. So somewhere along the way, wires got crossed.
 #805835  by Steam3713

Let me give readers a historical perspective on "confusing" information surrounding this year's Green Mountain Flyer--perpetuated by the railroad itself.

Around the first of the year, rumors were flying rampart locally that the Green Mountain Flyer was being discontinued. I personally called the VRS passenger number shortly after the first of the year to confirm or deny the rumor, and was told by a VRS spokesman that it was indeed true. When asked "why", the spokesman said because "we're concentrating our passenger operations out of White River Jct. now".

After that conversation, I went down to the Bellows Falls Chamber of Commerce to talk with the folks there and they confirmed that the railroad had informed them the Flyer was being discontinued. The railroad, however, had left open the possibility that a few special excursions might be operated out of Bellows Falls--and had told the Chamber folks that the railroad would be willing to operate excursions on a charter basis if the chamber or another party would be willing to foot the bill. The Chamber folks said there was no money available locally to subsidize the excursions; the only way they'd be able to do anything would be if people could come up with themed-events excursions that they might be able to sell enough advance tickets to cover the cost of operating a train.

At the Amherst Railway Society train show (last weekend in January, if I remember correctly), VRS had a printed brochure that suprisingly showed the Flyer operating on Fridays at 11 A. M. from May 7th through October 15th plus several special events. I have a copy of that brochure here in front of me right now!

I just returned from the Bellows Falls railroad station, and found no VRS personnel there. According to the AMTRAK attendant, all VRS passenger department personnel is now located at White River Jct. I asked if he knew whether or not the Flyer had operated last Friday, May 7th as advertised in the VRS brochure. He said "No, that they won't be running until June 4th". He took me over to a posting on the Flyer ticket window which gives the following dates for Flyer operations through July 31st: June 4th: June 18th; June 25th; July 16th; July 23rd: and Saturday 31st (Rockingham Old Home Days/Fireworks train). The AMTRAK attendant kindly wrote down the operating days for me on a VRS brochure--and when I got home, I checked the printed Flyer information inside. Lo and behold, VRS had printed a new version of their brochure since the Amherst show--and it shows the Flyer running Fridays at 11 A. M. from May 21st to October 15th!

The bottom line is that the railroad has changed its mind a few times over the past few months, and I'd suggest that anyone planning to ride or photograph the GREEN MOUNTAIN FLYER on a given date check in with the railroad to make sure its operating that day. It would appear that the railroad is doing the same thing they did last year with excursion trains out of Bellows Falls: operating trips only when a tour group is booked. It's possible that a tour group might cancel on the days that are currently shown as operating days--and that day's excursion might be scrubbed. So if you REALLY want to know if the GREEN MOUNTAIN FLYER is operating on a specific day, give them a call a day or two in advance. Its toll free at 1-800-707-3530.

Frederick G. Bailey
 #805846  by Steam3713

Just checked the VRS website, and its still showing the GREEN MOUNTAIN FLYER operating on Friday's at 11 A. M. from May 7th through October 18th! Interesting way to run a business, huh? Feel sorry for those folks that get a brochure or view the website, and show up looking for the train at Bellows Falls--only to find a posting that its running just of certain dates.

Frederick G. Bailey
 #806006  by Steam3713

The Rutland Limited is still showing as a special train on October 9th, but with a minimum number of passengers required for it to run. Put in your order early toinsure VRS gets enough passengers to operate the trip!

Frederick G. Bailey
 #807003  by Steam3713

I just got off the phone with a VRS spokesman concerning the Green Mountain Flyer operation this year. He confirmed that the Green Mountain Flyer will NOT necessarily operate on all of the Fridays shown in either of the TWO printed versions of the 2010 TRAINS AROUND VERMONT brochure nor what is currently shown on their website. He said the VRS passenger department is currently in a "transition period", and that they will be updating the website shortly to reflect the days the Green Mountain Flyer will operate. He also stated the Friday dates for the Green Mountain Flyer were contingent upon contracts being signed with tour group operators, and that a lot of groups have cancelled. He said that the dates posted in Bellows Falls (see my earlier post) should be OK plus the public will be able to ride the school trip on May 21st at 11 A. M

The bottom line, however, is as I stated earlier: if you want to be sure the Green Mountain flyer is operating on a given day, call a day or two in advance before heading to Bellows Falls.

Frederick G. Bailey
 #807164  by MikeVT

Sounds like business is slow. Not suprising seems like tourist are railroads poping up all over. The market can only handle so many. Lets hope things get better.